Legacy Remote Desktop

Is the Legacy Remote Desktop that preceded the Splashtop integration removed? I cannot find any announcements about its retirement. The last official word I heard indicated was that it would remain an option for those who wanted it. I have always used a TeamViewer integration, but it was nice knowing that I had a backup, and Splashtop is not a good fit for my organization.

1 Like

It’s in background tools where it’s been since I can remember…

It seems to have gone missing from my menus.

Screenshot_20230126_173840

It appears that it got turned off in the global Admin/RMM Settings, though I am certain that I did not disable it. It is now present on the Backgrounding Tools page, but it does not appear in the Backgrounding Tools menu seen in the screenshot included in my prior reply.

Yea it doesn’t show in my drop down either, I don’t recall if it ever did, I just remember seeing it/using it in background tools if I needed it.

1 Like

I thought it did, but it’s been too long to remember. I may have just always used another option to reach the Backgrounding Tools and connected from there. If nothing else, this is an indicator that I need to draft an SOP for this tool. :rofl:

1 Like

It was removed from menu I think when they tried to get rid of it. It was left after many revolted, but is not supported as I recall, which is probably why it’s been left more hidden.

1 Like

I had asked about the link being missing from the menu and was told it was intentional, but don’t remember the reason.

It’s probably due to Splashtop being the official remote desktop solution now. It makes sense. I’m glad the legacy tool remains, since it saves me from needing to deploy, secure, and maintain my own secondary solution.

1 Like

This isn’t why. It was just left more hidden because it was causing confusion with new users that saw two remote access options and it wasn’t clear which to use and why. This is why there isn’t a direct link to it in the UI.

1 Like

It has saved us many times when cannot connect with Splashtop and/or Microsoft RDP. System hangs, shows offline, but miraulously can connect to console, or built in Syncro legacy RDP. It looks like it is based on DWService.net which has improved greatly. Please do consider updating it, it is a valuable emergency tool.