Splashtop remote access FROM linux (workaround)

I’ve been keeping a windows machine around just to run splashtop viewer for remote clients for awhile now, figured I’d finally get around to fixing the issue. The viewer runs OK with wine in linux, you just have to forward everything from the browser to it before it does anything.

Steps are as follows.

I used the wine PPA, version 6. No idea how well this will work with older versions.

Install your RMM splashtop viewer app with wine as you normally would anything else (I used a 32 bit prefix in the default location, edit as needed). In your editor of choice, make a file called splashtop-viewer.desktop

In the file, paste the following, replacing USERNAME with your home directory:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Splashtop Viewer
Exec=bash -c 'echo "%u" | sed "s#st-rmm://##g" | xargs wine "/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Splashtop/Splashtop Remote/Client for RMM/clientoobe.exe" "-a"'
Type=Application
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/st-rmm;

Save the file. Add it to your programs list with:

xdg-desktop-menu install /path/to/splashtop-viewer.desktop

register it as your default handler for st-rmm protocol links:

xdg-mime default splashtop-viewer.desktop x-scheme-handler/st-rmm

Chrome and related programs should just open it when you click the “Remote Access” button now, Firefox may need a little prodding by going to about:config setting a boolean for network.protocol-handler.expose.st-rmm to false, then manually selecting the “Splashtop Viewer” option in the “choose application” popup that you see when you click the link.

Seems to work ok, with what I’ve done with it for the last two days.

Since syncro says “you can’t do this from Linux” I figured a solution might be appreciated by some folks.

Edit: it’s a good idea to install corefonts using winetricks. Some of the text may be missing without it.

7 Likes

That’s awesome! I’ll have to try this. Honestly, Syncro/Splashtop is one of the only reasons why I’m not using Linux currently.

I tried this with a VM and didn’t seem to work.

Thanks so much for this, I was able to get this working great within my Debian based system.

This worked for me, Thanks!

1 Like

Got this working on Ubuntu 22.04 with wine64 from stock repository! Thank you so much!

I know this thread is old but the solution does not seem to work for me on Linux Mint with Ciinnamon desktop.

As a rather casual Linux user for decades I’v decided I had enough with Windows but I still want to support Windows users. My journey shouldn’t be too hard except for this part.

There is couple of gaps in this great solution for rookies like me :slight_smile:

Anybody wants to pitch in and elaborate how they’ve done it ? That would be awesome !

Thanks to all

I got it working.

You may have to modify Program Files to Program Files (x86) depending on your environment.

It worked for me after following the instructions from this page, and as second step had to open the Splashtop app and change the running environment to Windows XP instead of the default (Windows 8).

Just so everyone know… I was able to finally get this working after a bit of fiddling. I am new to Linux. I am trying to get away from the constant hassles with Windows and after hearing that Windows 12 might be removing the start menu all together I decided enough is enough. Here are the steps I followed.

1. I did a fresh install of Linux Mint. Not that I already had it installed, that was just the flavor I decided to go with.
  2. Installed the latest version of wine from https://www.winehq.org/. I heard there was issues with the version that comes with the Software center in Mint so I just followed the instructions on the WineHQ site.
  3. Installed corefonts using this site as reference. How to Install Microsoft Fonts on Ubuntu Linux [Easy Way].
  4. I created a directory in my $HOME folder called working and that is where I created and saved the splashtop-viewer.desktop file.
  5. Downloaded the Splashtop installer to the downloads folder.
  6. Opened a terminal window and navigated to the downloads folder.
  7. Installed Splashtop with the following command: wine Splashtop_RMM_Win_INSTALLER_v3.5.8.2.exe
  8. After install was completed I verified the path to the install in the .wine folder for Splashtop. For me I changed the splashtop-viewer.desktop to $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Splashtop/Splashtop Remote/clientoobe.exe
  9. In the terminal I navigated to my working folder I created previously
  10. I ran the following commands to register the app.
    xdg-desktop-menu install splashtop-viewer.desktop
    xdg-mime default splashtop-viewer.desktop x-scheme-handler/st-rmm

Once this was done I was able to get the app to open in Firefox. I did not have to change anything in the about:config part of firefox. I did however had to open the app with the shortcut under the start button and wine folder to get to the options of the app and change the Video Rendering Options to SDL with YUV. Thie if found on the advanced tab-Advanced Setting.

I really hope this helps anyone else trying to get this to work… and if there are any Linux gurus that can see any issues with my method please let me know. I am not by any means a Linux expert.

Hi All- running ubuntu 22.04 and attempting to get the splashtop viewer working with wine. I do have the latest wine, 9.0, added 32bit compatibility on the install and followed chazs’ instructions. Seems to work, but I get a white flash on the screen, then a wine error dialog that contains the following here pastebin

if anyone has a clue, would appreciate the assistance.

thanks!