Install Microsoft Office Updates

How can I push out Office updates, office 2016 and 2019?

1 Like

Hi Scott. Software updates would be done through Chocolatey. Chocolatey Software | Packages

If you don’t find a suitable package here, then you’d need to build a script to update it and schedule that out.

Updates are handled by Office itself in those versions, not Windows/Syncro. If automatic updates are not enabled already (typically are) you can do so with GPO or registry entry: Automatic updating for Microsoft Office is not enabled - Office 365 | Microsoft Docs You can force a check for update on click to run editions with:
“C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe” /update user displaylevel=false forceappshutdown=true

I added the registry keys to have Windows updates run and also include other Microsoft products and that worked, but now the registry entries have gone away and automatic updates are turned off (they were there 12 hours ago). Is this caused by Syncro doing the Windows Updates? And Office 2016 is not ClickToRun so it doesn’t do the updates itself, it does it with the Windows updates.

I wouldn’t think Syncro would interfere with the office registry keys but I haven’t tested. 2016 can be click to run or MSI depending on your licensing I believe. If your is MSI then yes you’d need to manage them via Syncro like other updates or turn off the patch management and let Windows do it (assuming Microsoft Update is enabled, probably needed for either to work). windows - How to make "Give me updates for other Microsoft products" enabled again? - Super User

I am having the same issue. I have confirmed that Syncro policies that have Windows Patch Management enabled, disables “Receive Updates for Other Microsoft Products” in Windows Update Advanced Settings. I believe it’s done via group policy and then it locks the setting so that it cannot be toggled back on.

On the machine you can use gpedit to turn the policy back on to fix it temporarily, however once Syncro syncs again, the feature is toggled off and locked again.

Syncro policies that do not have Windows Patch Management do not have this behavior.

In the Windows Patch Management editor in Syncro, there is no way to manage this option.

The end result is that Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 do NOT receive updates at all with no work around other then editing group polices manually on the device. This can be hard to do with hundreds if not thousands of workstations affected.

I’m going to submit a support ticket to see if we can get an option to turn this setting off in Syncro.

1 Like

Thank you, I also submitted a case just now.

Same issue with Office 2016 ProPlus Open (NOT the C2R version). The default answer of ‘use Chocolatey’ does not wwork, ssince Chocolatey does not have a package for 2016 ProPlus Open License.

I agree with [ask.jeremy] and others… furthermore I think that this affects more than just Microsoft Office. There are many Microsoft programs that receive updates under the “Receive Updates for Other Microsoft Products” Checkbox. I feel like this issue needs to be waived in front of the programmers. It feels like just a simple oversight in the Syncro setup of MS updates.

I wanted to add that I’m having a similar issue as well. Office 2016 is not updating on Syncro-managed clients because the box for enabling Microsoft products to update is greyed out. I can override this by going into group policy manager on the affected system and configure the Windows Update GPO but obviously that defeats the purpose of an RMM solution.

Updateing this in hopes of getting a response from Syncro. This is a big oversight that needs to be adressed urgently

Here is what support said to me:
Thanks for reaching out.

The Agent does make registry changes that block changing update settings which result in blocking updates from other Microsoft products on most Windows OS versions. While currently deploying updated software like Office, it would need to be done through Chocolatey or Scripting in Syncro.

Chocolatey does get installed along with our Third-Party Patch Management Policy. Here is a link to our Knowledge Base has information on Chocolatey: 3rd Party Patch Management FAQ

Typically our Clients manage this through scripting or disable Windows Patch Management and manage all updates by scripts

A few reference links for managing Office updates

Sorry for our limitation on this, I’ll be sure to will pass on the information to our Product Team for review and consideration.

Kindly let us know if you have additional questions. Thank you.

MC Botha
Support Agent
+1 415-523-6363
help@syncromsp.com

Ok, I have a workaround. Not perfect, but better than what we have.
********** THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR C2R VERSIONS **********

• Microsoft releases a monthly patch for Office. Search for <> <> Update for Microsoft Office
    **For example April 2022 Update for Microsoft Office. This shows you BOTH of Office 2013 and 2013 updates
  • Download the 32 or 64 bit version as appropriate to your environment. Or both. I have verified that running the incorrect version will only generate a ‘no compatible product’ warning
  • The command line switches for these are found at this microsoft webpage
    I have also submitted a script for review which writes the files from your own file library, then runs both the 32 and 64 bit
    CAUTION: This is a point fix. You would need to do a check once per month for the latest Office monthly rollup, and then update your script.

As always, we cannot guarantee the suitability of this process for your environment. No warranty implied or offered. Your mileage may vary.

1 Like