All In One Computers

Hello,

I have a customer asking about All In One Computers. In my experience, long ago, they were subpar and didn’t seem to last. Does anyone have an experience with them in a business setting and has it been good?

Only because the business bought them pre-me. Never a good experience.
I do use them for residentials. They have to be configured like a medium quality laptop or better or they’re junk too.

They are basically laptop parts with a priority focus on cooling, which usually means low power parts. Not a fan, people usually complain about speeds.

Thanks Jimmie and John. Pretty much alligns with what I was thinking. Appreciate your input!

If you’re OK with a micro PC or a laptop CPU, an AIO is fine. The issues with them inherently similar. Limited, difficult or no upgrade options (over spec it), if the screen goes bad/is damaged out of warranty it’s probably not worth fixing, if you can find parts. You’re paying for a new monitor every upgrade cycle (typically monitors last longer than computers). The only real benefit is looks and space use, so can be nice for cramped spots or where things are visible to the public/appearance matters. So I rarely recommend them, but if the customer has a good reason I don’t mind it.

1 Like

We have always found the HP EliteDesk 800 All in Ones to be excellent.
On a rough count we have probably sold about 30 over the years.
Only had a single warranty event that I can remember on an All in One. The LCD developed a problem in one corner near the end of the 3 year warranty period. HP replaced the entire unit under warranty.

1 Like

Ditto what Isaac said. As long as we’re not talking the cheaper consumer AIOs, they’ve gotten pretty good. I still wouldn’t recommend them except in circumstances where space is an issue, like kiosks, but we’ve installed quite a few in the last few years and haven’t had any issues, and you can get some with perfectly decent specs.

They generally experience overheating issues. They are essentially laptops oriented vertically with the vents most often at the top precisely positioned so that dust and dirt can settle and clog the heat fins as efficiently as possible.

Just buy a micro with a mount that attaches to the TV/Monitor. AIOs have always had the impossible to repair and if the display fails or has any issue, you lose an entire PC instead of just replacing a display

Thanks all. Great perspectives.

Consumer ones…yes this is correct.
The HP EliteDesk 800 series all in ones are different in this regard.
They are easy to repair, upgrade etc.
Parts have to be available for a long time because it is possible to have 5+ year HP care packs on all HP PCs.
I notice that Optus mobile phone stores in Australia in 2023 are still running HP EliteDesk 800 G1s and they became available in cica 2013 / 2014. The back panel of those G1 units is almost effortless open and remove. The later generations are a little more difficult but still toolless.

We have provided that type of setup too, with the HP Desktop Mini’s. There is a special HP vesa bracket.
Not as nice though because it is more difficult to reach to press the power button, and this setup lacks an integrated camera/microphone/speakers.

Also an option with the HP Desktop Minis is a HP Monitor that has a spot for a HP Desktop Mini to be slotted into.
Check out the 7ax23aa as an example.

The Dell OptiPlex AIO units have been great for me. I have a large deployment of them in the 24" frames… 7440, 7450, 7460, 7400… I’m not impressed by the non-OptiPlex AIO units from Dell, especially the ones with AMD processors, I’d avoid those.

We supplied maybe 50 Lenovo AIO including a few touchscreen models over the last five years and have no complaints in excess of regular devices. Certainly better than laptops. One or two of these have been dual screen paired up with the equivalent styled monitor.

We always ship them with a 3 year onsite warranty and so far none of them have been called up. So I’m only referring to models from the commercial offerings. I’d avoid the retail variants.

They can work well in a confined space or cater to a user that wants an iMac but has to go Windows