Send Syncro Notifications and Ticket Lead Notifications that are DMARC Compliant

Does anyone know which emails from Syncro exactly are not sent through BYO SMTP?
As far as I can tell, the following at least go through BYO SMTP:

• Ticket replies
  • Ticket autoresponders
  • Appointment reminders
  • Invoice emails
  • Open invoice reminders
  • Portal invites

This is all I really care about. I also receive emails from Syncro Notifications (no-reply@syncromsp.com), which do fail DMARC, I think because the header.from field (syncromsp.com) does not match the domain used in the DKIM signature (syncroemail.com). But since these emails are only sent internally to Syncro users as far as I can tell, I don’t really care.

I believe that Syncro is acting in an unprofessional manner in regard to their approach to email. On top of this DMARC problem, they also send their monthly service invoices to us from a recurly.com account that uses a different account (prefix) each time. I’m not going to whitelist recurly.com just so Syncro’s invoices don’t end up in the spam folder. /rant

Hi all, I wanted to provide you with more information on the upcoming Google & Yahoo Email-Delivery changes starting in February 2024 and how Syncro is impacted.

Syncro has two different paths for email communication.

The first is a built in email system that uses SendGrid as the backbone and is automatically configured on account creation. Outbound email using Sendgrid is shown as being sent From your email address having been “sent via syncroemail.com.” We have evaluated our configuration within SendGrid and compared against the deliverability changes and believe we are not impacted. However, we are also working directly with SendGrid to 100% confirm that our email deliverability will not be impacted. Our engineering teams will also be monitoring as these changes are implemented to confirm that email deliverability is not impacted.

The second email system uses your own managed SMTP server to send email from Syncro. When this feature is enabled, all outbound emails meant for end-clients will be sent through your SMTP Email server, using your SPF, DKIM and DMARC for delivery.

The SMTP feature is the most optimal feature for you to have the greatest level of control over your outbound email delivery. We know that there are shortcomings in our SMTP feature so we are currently in the midst of updating the SMTP authentication functionality to support OAuth2 for Microsoft O365 services. We expect this to complete within Q1 this year. Alongside this work, we have started efforts to add the ability for having Multiple Outbound Emails within the Syncro platform. The work is in the early stages, but moving forward steadily. We plan to share more information on this feature as it progresses.

I apologize for the lack of communication on this and understand the concern it has caused. I want to ensure that you know we are committed to keeping your businesses running smoothly with no interruptions.

Is there going to be any sort of beta program that we could opt in to join?? I would love to test out the new OAuth2 for M365

The ‘sent via syncroemail.com’ messages fail DMARC. See screenshot below from our DMARC service, which explains the issue well.

May I also ask which types of emails are sent through syncroemail.com and which are sent from BYO SMTP?

Hmm…“Your policy specifies that messages failing DMARC should be delivered”. Considering you are at the mercy of the email servers to respect the DMARC policy. Syncro would be well advised for the last 5 years to get with the program and implement proper DMARC validation with quarantined.

In addition allow notifications and all other email from our instance to go out with our SMTP servers, DMARC and DKIM signing. Would that be wonderful. How annoying is it that invoices from Syncro end up in clients spam, even with SMTP server enabled as much as possible right now?

1 Like

We have a p=none in our DMARC because of these Syncro emails that do not pass DMARC! To set the policy to Reject or Quarantine would be to block the @syncroemail.com messages.

For us, Invoices do send through our BYO SMTP so they pass DMARC (since we have SPF / DKIM correctly configured for our SMTP service).

It appears to only be the “via @syncroemail.com” emails that fail DMARC. However, it’s not clear to me which emails go through BYO SMTP and which go through “via @syncroemail.com”. I know that even with BYO SMTP, some emails use syncroemail.com. Internally, notification emails (e.g. ticket notifications, RMM alert notification emails) use syncroemail.com and fail DMARC. But I don’t know which client-facing emails may use syncroemail.com instead of BYO SMTP. Would love to have an answer from Syncro on exactly which emails use BYO SMTP and which don’t.

I also haven’t been able to move to a p=quarantine because of this. Even though we bring our own SMTP, some emails are still sent by syncro and are considered non-compliant.
Syncro please fix this!!

The GMAIL Yahoo etc changes are probably not going to affect this as they just require SPF OR DKIM unless your sending over 5k emails a day, then gmail will require a DMARC record but not require it in block mode.

The problem with Syncro is that they send internal coms emails from their domain, as if it was from your domain w/o publishing how to configure your records to make it compliant. On one hand it is Dumb that they have BYO SMTP and then have some classes of email that still go through their send grid implementation, on the other hand I’m sure its to provide a level of resiliency since your stuff could break, but really they should just send from your .syncromsp.com for those so they can control the DNS an make sure its right and not have it mess with clients dns.

We have BYO SMTP configured and working, BUT DMARC reports still show email coming from syncroemail.com.

To put it simply, we Need to be able to have mail be SPF, DKIM and DMARC compliant in order to be able to properly secure our own domain. There are several ways this could be achieved and at this point I don’t really care which, so please put a bug in someone’s ear!

Options to allow DMARC to be secured.

1. When BYO SMTP is configured use that for all outbound mail instead of just some of it.
  2. Provide Instructions for updates to our DNS, and update your syncroemail.com DNS as needed so all the email you send as us is fully compliant.
  3. Stop impersonating our domain, and just send it as and from domains you control so that we can secure the domains we control and Syncro properly secures the domains you control.
3 Likes

Something really needs to be done with this… I was planning on Using Syncro invoice for my billing, but it’s ridiculous that all billing emails go into everyone’s junk mail or not get delivered at all!

Please move quickly with this OAuth2 for Microsoft O365 SMTP setup! Please! And make ALL emails go through there!

Hey all!

We have been working on improvements to our email verification and have some changes for you to be able to verify your domains and use your own DMARC and DKIM. If you would like to sign up for Early Access please fill out this form.

Thank you!

1 Like

I noticed system emails being sent with matching domains in the return-path and From field. It is nice finally to see that, even if it took years beyond what anyone would consider reasonable.

Thanks for sharing the sign-up form. Hopefully it has more details. I’m off to look at it now.

UPDATE: The form lacks sufficient detail for anyone to be able to answer the key question. I am generally interested, but you can’t ask people to sign up for undisclosed operational changes.

Thanks for that feedback Link. I have been contacting folks who filled the form out and expanded in email with them. That said, I do agree we could say more in the form so I’ve updated the description to say more about the update and what we are doing.

I appreciate the candor and will carry this forward for future Early Access projects.

1 Like

Yep, we are seeing the same. the @syncroemail.com emails are no longer using our domain as the Header-From. This means @syncroemail.com emails are now passing DMARC! This also allows us to set our own DMARC policy to Quarantine or Reject.

It would be nice to have all outbound emails go through BYO SMTP, but that’s a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. This issue is effectively solved for us! Hurray!

1 Like