Registry Editor incomplete in Backgrounding Tools

Our company is setting up new PCs for a client and needed to have mapped drives set up. Since we pre-configure computers in-house before deployment, we found a way to set up the mapped drives offline by editing the registry. However, I discovered that, when placed side-by-side, not all of the registry keys were available in Syncro. In this case, I needed to edit HKCU\Network, but it was not shown in Backgrounding Tools even though it is available when I run the registry editor on the computer itself. I figured out a workaround for the issue, but I wanted to bring this up in case it isn’t a known issue or, if it is known, if/when it will be fixed.

1 Like

This isn’t an issue. HKCU is the Current User key. Since RMM tools run as system, it doesn’t see the HKCU.

If you have a user logged in, and you open up Syncro registry editor, you will need to look in HKU, which should have a loaded key with an SID value. Match that to the logged in user and make your changes in there.

You can do this to get the SID of the currently logged in user and modify it accordingly.

$LoggedInUser = ((Get-WMIObject -class Win32_ComputerSystem).UserName).Split("\")[1]
$USID = (Get-WmiObject Win32_UserAccount | Where-Object { $_.Name -eq $LoggedInUser }).SID
$UserRegPath = "Registry::\HKEY_USERS\$USID\CONTINUE THE PATH"
2 Likes

Yes, that was the answer. I went to HKU and found the keys I was looking for.

Thanks for your help!

Are there any plans to fix this?

This isn’t something inherently broken. All backgrounding tools operate as System, and that’s the same in every platform that has any semblance of backgrounding tools. That’s to ensure they all operate unimpeded and with full functionality. So there isn’t really a way to remotely access the registry using the logged in user’s view. In many cases, there may be no user logged in so the tool would cease to function.