Hey all, we’ve gotten a myriad of reports of scripting issues, and some miscellaneous reports of being unable to perform certain actions on tickets (adding attachments, scheduling recurring tickets, etc.).
We are currently investigating the cause on our end, and I’ll update everyone when I have additional details.
Seems to be resolved now - at least for us.
Hey all, the issues from this morning were resolved as of about 90 minutes ago. We’ve been monitoring it to ensure things continued working as intended.
We’ll be posting a full postmortem on our status site sometime over the next few days to provide additional details for folks.