Chocolatey App Installs

As you may know, if Chocolatey is installed on a computer you can open the terminal and type “choco install ”

when using Chocolatey with Syncro it looks as though the system environment variable isn’t set so it doesn’t work in the traditional way. Is there a way to install Chocolatey apps from the remote terminal?

The use case is that if one person needs a specific app, we can push this remotely without creating a policy/script for one-time use.

Thanks,
Luke.

1 Like

This is intended to work, but a recent update to our agent removed that ability. The development team is aware of the issue and it is in their queue to work.

When working, any Windows asset that has 3rd Party Patch management applied in the policy will get Chocolatey installed and ‘choco’ commands can be used. If there isn’t a 3rd Party Patch Policy installed this script from our community library can be used to install Chocolatey:

We also have a couple more scripts that use ‘choco’ commands:

Thanks Frank,

Do you have an ETA for resolution or have they flagged this as a low priority issue?
As we have 3rd party patch policies in place we cannot install Chocolatey as it detects from the version that is installed with Syncro.

Thanks,
Luke.

What would be helpful is knowing the current path where Choco exe is located. That should help the OP right?

1 Like

Currently Choco lives in "Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\bin".
There is no environment variable to tell Windows where it is, I assume this is purely for Synco’s 3rd party patch management.

If I try to install choco it detects another version and won’t install, if I try to run “choco” from the terminal I get an error: "Cannot find file at ‘…/choco.exe’ (C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\choco.exe).

The patch should be released shortly, but I was able to get this workaround from out development team:

Until this is patched, copy the file

C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\kabuto_patch_manager.exe

to

C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\choco.exe .

2 Likes

That’s perfect
Thank you, Frank!!

Just jumping in here because I am just becoming aware of Choco issues.

So it is a move and rename of that file correct?

And if so is there a way to bulk move and rename for all assets? Could Syncro write a script and release it until we get the actual fix?

@Mark1,
Yep, copying and renaming fixed the issue for us.
You can script this using the code below.

Copy-Item "C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\kabuto_patch_manager.exe" "C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\choco.exe"
4 Likes

Hi Frank. So it’s been 2 weeks. When will this be fixed.

@anon24463327

Has this fix actually gone out yet? I feel like something has been done but it has made it worse rather than better.

When attempting to run a chocolatey install script, the error initially does state that choco is missing at “C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\choco.exe”.

If you copy the file as per the workaround above and rerun the script, it then states that choco.exe is missing from the next folder up: “C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\choco.exe”.

This process repeats all the way up to “C:\choco.exe”, at which point running a choco install then fails with a totally different error message:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’ or one of its dependencies. The paging file is too small for this operation to complete. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800705AF)
at shim.ShimProgram.Main(String args)

2 Likes

I just started to use this for app installs and have run into the same issue. I’ve attempted the same solutions mentioned here, but I see there has been no update. Can we get an idea of when this will be resolved @Andy ?

I just did this on an older install, Plus I checked this on a fresh install. This is working with no issues for me. Please note you do need to open an elevated command prompt. If you do not run CMD as admin it will not work.

Ah, thanks, I’ll double check that.

I believe this update went out a good while ago. I’d open a ticket with support if you are still seeing issues there.

How do you open an elevated command prompt when running a script? Was this a reply to the wrong comment?

1 Like

The Original poster was asking about running it locally from a command prompt, not from a script. When you build a script you can choose to run it as SYSTEM (which is elevated) or logged-in user.

Ah I see. Missed that part.

1 Like

This thread seems to be stagnant, but unresolved. Choco doesnt seem to be available from the command line on machines with Syncro installed, and nothing mentioned so far helps the situation. Any update?

I think the point is choco is not installed on an asset until you have specified a 3rd party patch management policy module in a policy on that asset.