Dell Driver Update Script

@garyh
Care to share the script that uninstalls other Dell Update programs and installs the UWP version?

Be curious to see also. I’ve revamped mine to handle the new version and remove old. Didn’t have many old ones to test on but it seems to be working fine. Task - Dell Command Update - Pastebin.com

1 Like

I have noticed over the last few weeks / months that Dell is forcing a reminder to upgrade to the UWP version and was concerned that this script was not updated. Glad to see that it was, gonna update my scripts and see how it works out. Thanks for updating us @isaacg

Ran your script on a few assets and some worked but some came back with this:

This is the entire script result below:

error> Test-Path : Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘Path’ because it is null.
error> At C:\ProgramData\Syncro\bin\91ebb2ee-88e1-465d-8793-ab26b0725e88.ps1:30 char:21
error> + if (-not (Test-Path $env:ChocolateyInstall)) {
error> + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
error> + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:slight_smile: [Test-Path], ParameterBindingValidationException
error> + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.TestPathCommand
error>
error> & : The term ‘C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\choco.exe’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included,
error> verify that the path is correct and try again.
error> At C:\ProgramData\Syncro\bin\91ebb2ee-88e1-465d-8793-ab26b0725e88.ps1:84 char:6
error> + &$choco upgrade DellCommandUpdate-UWP -y --no-progress
error> + ~~~~~~
error> + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\choco.exe:String) , CommandNotFoundException
error> + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
error>
Checking for updates…
Determining available updates…
Check for updates completed
Number of applicable updates for the current system configuration: 0
No updates available.
Execution completed.
The program exited with return code: 500

If you’re only using the Syncro chocolatey and not the offical one you’ll need to update the choco variable at the top to point to: C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager

1 Like

I made this change and this is what I got below:

error> Test-Path : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Path' because it is null.
error> At C:\ProgramData\Syncro\bin\74ded80b-24fe-4e8a-8749-0739a97609d4.ps1:30 char:21
error> + if (-not (Test-Path $env:ChocolateyInstall)) {
error> +                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
error>     + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Test-Path], ParameterBindingValidationException
error>     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.TestPathCommand
error>  
error> & : The term 'C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a 
error> path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
error> At C:\ProgramData\Syncro\bin\74ded80b-24fe-4e8a-8749-0739a97609d4.ps1:84 char:6
error> +     &$choco upgrade DellCommandUpdate-UWP -y --no-progress
error> +      ~~~~~~
error>     + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\ProgramFiles...uto_app_manager:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
error>     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
error>  
An unexpected fatal error occurred.
The program exited with return code: 2
error> Get-Content : Cannot find path 'C:\SPI\DCUApplicableUpdates.xml' because it does not exist.
error> At C:\ProgramData\Syncro\bin\74ded80b-24fe-4e8a-8749-0739a97609d4.ps1:95 char:19
error> + [xml]$XMLReport = Get-Content "$homepath\DCUApplicableUpdates.xml"
error> +                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
error>     + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\SPI\DCUApplicableUpdates.xml:String) [Get-Content], ItemNotFoundException
error>     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand
error>  
error> Remove-Item : Cannot find path 'C:\SPI\DCUApplicableUpdates.xml' because it does not exist.
error> At C:\ProgramData\Syncro\bin\74ded80b-24fe-4e8a-8749-0739a97609d4.ps1:97 char:1
error> + Remove-Item "$homepath\DCUApplicableUpdates.xml" -Force
error> + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
error>     + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\SPI\DCUApplicableUpdates.xml:String) [Remove-Item], ItemNotFoundException
error>     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand
error>  
BIOS Updates: 0
Application Updates: 0
Driver Updates: 0
Firmware Updates: 0
Other Updates: 0
Patch Updates: 0
Utility Updates: 0 

Recommended Updates: 0
Urgent Updates: 0

I had to point the choco variable directly to choco.exe:
“C:\Program Files\RepairTech\Syncro\kabuto_app_manager\choco.exe”
Additionally, I think the ‘Path’ parameter is returning null because the ChocolateyInstall environment variable points to the default install location for the newest full version of Chocolatey, C:\ProgramData\Chocolatey, which is not the same as the default Syncro choco install location.
Not quite sure how to fix the null path error but its not actually required for the script to run successfully. All that statement is doing is checking if Chocolately is installed and erroring out if its not. Lastly, a reboot fixed the .xml errors for me.

Sorry for the issues. I had a few locations where i missed the $ so it wasn’t using the full path for references. Also made it so it will use syncro’s chocolatey automatically if found. Grab the new version Task - Dell Command Update - Pastebin.com

1 Like