Windows Updates FAQ

Windows Updates can be applied (or restricted) through the Syncro Agent. That way you can have more control over what is being patched and when.

"How does this work, do you host the patch files?"
We don’t host the files, Windows still handles the download. Syncro determines if that download will be allowed to be installed or not. This means that the patch needs to first be sent to the machine by Microsoft. There isn’t a way to request a patch early or on-demand.

"Can I see if an Update is actively installing?"
This can be seen on the Syncro Tray Icon of the local machine, but in Syncro, there isn’t currently a progress bar. Once you click Install, it will update the UI after it has been completed.

"How do I install a Feature Update?"
Microsoft doesn’t make updates in this category available on their API so we don’t have a way to support these in specific. However, it is possible to update these via script. Not to be confused with a Feature Pack which is supported.

"I uninstalled a patch, Syncro didn’t update to reflect this."
Since uninstalling a patch manually goes outside the suggested workflow, Syncro won’t update to reflect that the patch has been removed.

"Can I block a specific patch KB?"
You can only block categories at this time, though this is a popular feature request.

"I checked Windows Update on the local machine, but it says all the patches that Syncro installed aren’t installed?"
Windows Update basically says “If I didn’t install it, then it didn’t happen.” Because Syncro installed these, it does not have detection for another party handling the installation. If you need the UI updated locally, you can let Windows Update run as normal and it will update this.

"Does Syncro respect hidden updates?"
Not at this time, if you hide an update then Syncro will still see and install it if that category is included.

"I have Group Policy and Syncro set up, which is respected?"
Syncro. If you are having Group Policy handling Windows Update, you will want to make sure you have those assets on a Syncro policy that doesn’t manage Windows Updates.