Webroot default settings

I am interested to find out how you have customised Webroot endpoint antivirus settings for Desktops and servers.

I created a customised template for desktop PCs and have changed;
Basic config, poll intervall to 15 minutes
scan settings, detect possible unwanted applications… to on
these minimal changes have worked well for us.

For servers its the same except we add the ability to turn sields on and off manually once you enter a capture code. On Remote desktop servers we have found (in the past) the identity shield conflicts with some LOB applications so have had to disable that shield.

Does no one use Webroot?
Perhaps no one bothers to configure the default settings because they are happy with them.

Sorry, Webroot is one of my least favorite AV solutions so I do not use it. Perhaps many others also do not use it.

What is it about Webroot you do not like.
I am using the corporate version, Webroot endpoint antivirus.
What antivirus are you using ?

I’ll admit I’ve not used the corporate version much. I just have seen too many times where it seems to miss certain things, but I’m sure that happens for most and stories could be told for just about any of them.

Currently I use Bitdefender AEP with EDR along with Huntress, but I’m actually considering moving to Windows Defender Managed Endpoint and still backed by Huntress. So far Defender has been scoring top marks in all categories.

1 Like

There are way too many settings to discuss in detail. We enable and turn up many of them. The defaults are too weak. Once you turn up the settings, it works quite well.

Here is the link to the Best Practices policies for Webroot. Workstations, Servers and RDS Servers included.

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/business/administratorguide/administratorguide.htm#Policies/PolicyBestPractices.htm

Thanks Craig. That is a good find.

I wanted to mention that webroot is not great, had a friend in enterprise environment get ransomed. A week later it found it.

Stick with crowd strike, S1, or bit defender

Been using Webroot for 7 years on Customer devices.
Over that time we have deployed Webroot to well over 2000 devices across hundreds of residential and small business customers.
Zero Ransomware infections.

We did have an single bad experience with Webroot support with a single customer. Webroot support refused to provide adequate support to one of our customers that experenced conflicts between Webroot software and Rockwell Automation software. PCs worth $5000 became unusable. We solved the problem by switching that customer to Bit Defender.

That has been pretty well my experiance andrewd. Happy with Webroot and in no hurry to change. 1 Crypto infection in 2017 at a client site is the worst I can report.

Are you using their DNS protection agent and and security awareness training ? I am looking into adding some kind of cyber awareness training into my MSP stack.

@charles
We briefly looked at Security Awareness training. Talked to a couple of customers about it, but not a lot of interest. Might be a problem with our pitch, and I likely should circle back and revisit.
Though for our business customers with Office 365, we push Defender for Office 365 fairly heavily. The Anti Phishing and Safe Links features in Defender are providing good protection for those customers.

No, we haven’t looked into DNS protection yet. It’s on the todo list.