Unifi Edu

Good afternoon my fellow MSPers!

Has anyone here had experience with Unifi’s Edu AP/Pager combo? We have a small Christian school that had them installed and it has been unreliable, to say the least. Most of the issues seem to be centered around the cloud key and are resolved with a simple reboot of the cloud key. I would hate to tell the tech teacher that she needs to babysit this thing and reboot it every time a bell doesn’t ring or a page does not go off.

One of my thoughts was to write an SSH reboot script and place it on of their servers to reboot the cloud key nightly, but I was hoping there might be a better way.

I was just curious if anyone else has fought this battle and might have some tips or tricks that might help us out.

Maybe it’s some settings I am missing or a magical combination of firmware versions that makes it work. Anything I can do to try and help a school that is struggling to get by.

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

Shouldnt need to reboot the cloud key - if its the problem, any reason not to replace it? The cloud key is just a small computer… in that case, you could in theory replace it with another device and have it handle everything instead.

I don’t think the cloud key itself is having issues. Everything else minus the paging/intercom feature works perfectly. It seems to just be the “service” for these features that are going out. The only way I can figure out how to refresh those is a reboot.

Witch cloud key are we talking about then? They make a few different ones.

It’s a Gen2 Cloud Key

Would need to install the Posh-SSH but this should allow you to SSH into your device - run the command via script for you. I would be more worried about the service going down (I would strongly encourage you to be asking Unifi support team for either a fix or to have them look over it). Possible just needs a update/firmware upgrade. This would require another always on PC and or Server.

Command to install it

Install-Module -Name Posh-SSH # PS 5.1 or higher

Script you could task to run at mid night for example.

$Password = "Password"
$User = "UserName"
$ComputerName = "Destination"
$Command = "reboot"

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString $Password -AsPlainText -Force
$Credentials = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($User, $secpasswd)

$SessionID = New-SSHSession -ComputerName $ComputerName -Credential $Credentials #Connect Over SSH

Invoke-SSHCommand -Index $sessionid.sessionid -Command $Command # Invoke Command Over SSH

The other method I would recommend, over SSH, would be to install their software on the server… and just let the server control it instead. I believe they still have a 3rd party software you can install and run.