Syncro Backup FAQ & Best Practice

IMPORTANT NOTICE: We have made the difficult decision to remove Syncro Backups from our platform with a target End of Life date of September 1, 2022. See our Syncro Backups article for more info.

Welcome! This is a guide for users who are using or want to know more about Syncro Backup. It includes FAQs and suggested best practice information.

Backup Documentation
Backup Deep Dive Video

Configuring Your First Backup
When you schedule or manually run your first backup, the system will take note of the original file size and then compress any files that are eligible for compression. The result is the final upload will often be smaller than the original size.

Once the first upload has taken place, the system will only re-upload files that have been changed on the local system. We call this deduplication. Unless large files are being changed frequently, subsequent uploads will be small.

"Can I include OneDrive folders?"
Yes, this is supported. If the file is hosted only on OneDrive and not locally, however, this file will be skipped and the Backup will complete successfully with a warning to indicate the file was skipped.

"What folders do you suggest I exclude?"
Some users choose to exclude the appdata folder as these files change often and take up space but aren’t always necessary.

"Is NAS supported?"
It is supported as a Backup destination only. You can send your files from a local machine to a NAS. You cannot back up a NAS itself to another location through Syncro. Backups can only be done from devices that have the Agent installed.

Network & Speed
Backups will use as much bandwidth as possible when uploading files. Depending on file size and network speed, you may or may not see a change in network performance.

"I’m worried that this will take up too much bandwidth, what can I do?"
Bandwidth can be addressed in a number of ways.

• You can schedule the initial backup to occur off-hours, the local PC will need to be online and active (not sleeping) during this time.
  • You can also choose to throttle the speed on the schedule.
  • You can set up more than one schedule so uploads are spaced out to different times and not all running at the same time.
  • It is faster to upload to a local drive or NAS, you can schedule assets to upload here. Then you can upload the local files/NAS to the cloud during off-hours if needed.

"What happens if the upload is interrupted? The user turned their PC off."
If a Backup upload is interrupted it will pick up where it left off when it checks in again.

Retention
If you configure your retention settings to remove old backups, it will re-upload the full image after the indicated storage time has elapsed.

Storage
Files can be stored on a local drive, network drive and/or within the cloud.

"Do you offer BYO Cloud Storage?"
We do offer Syncro Storage as our cloud storage solution but do not offer any BYO options at this time.

"Is my data safe?"
Yes! Data is encrypted using strong AES-256-CTR with Poly1305 in AEAD mode with high-entropy random keys.

Have other questions for us? Let us know!