Progress invoicing for Projects

How do I do progress invoicing for projects? Say I give an estimate of $10,000 invoice for the deposit of $5,000, then invoice for $3,000 in the middle of the project, then invoice for the remaining $2,000 plus any additional Change Orders charges.

QBO has this, https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/global/manage-invoices/set-up-and-send-progress-invoices-in-quickbooks-online/00/381521

Hello Jack,

Thanks for writing in!

We have seen other customers in similar scenarios accomplish this with the following:

1. Create an Estimate for 10k
  2. Your Customer Approves the Estimate
  3. You then go into the Estimate → New Ticket
  4. In the new ticket, go into Actions → Take Deposit (5k). This creates a new invoice (INV 01)
  5. Do work on the project
  6. Go into the Ticket → Take Deposit (3k). This creates another invoice (INV 02)
  7. Finally, when you’re ready to complete the project, you can convert the Ticket into an invoice (INV 03) and add any additional line item charges that you want. The Customer would then pay the 2k and any additional charges you added.

If you’re not a fan of so many invoices, then you can convert the Estimate into an Invoice and have the customer make partial payments (5k, 3k, 2k, etc.)

I hope this helps!