Prevent pending labor ticket charges from showing on invoice

You may be the kind of business that tracks labor time but charges a flat fee. In that case, you will not want all your labor time to show up as Pending Ticket Charges when creating invoices since you will never charge for it that way. To prevent this from happening, first make sure labor entries do not charge the time by default.

1. Navigate to Admin > Tickets - Preferences.
  2. Scroll down and click Additional Settings.
  3. Make sure Ticket Timer - Charge time by default is NOT checked.
  4. If you needed to uncheck it, scroll down and click Save.

Now when you add a ticket timer, make sure you do not check the Charge Now checkbox under Communications nor click Charge Time by entries in the Ticket Timer Log.

This needs to be a per client feature since some are AYCE and others maybe blocks of time.

1 Like

I’ve been using Syncro for 2 years now and this has been one of the most confusing things for me to understand. Coming from Autotask, where I can charge time on against a contract that has certain labor items included in the agreement, I could charge for the labor item and it wouldn’t show up on any invoice because it was included in the agreement. If I do this in Syncro, I get $0 charges on invoices, but I don’t want that to happen.

As @larry said, this should be at the contract level, as we have clients that are billed differently, it’s not a “one size fits all” for us. We have AYCE, and we bill certain clients by the hour, even if they are AYCE.

Please explain what happens when we put time on the ticket as you described above. If I add a labor item but do not click Charge Now, or Charge it in the ticket timer, is this going to sit out there as a pending item, or show up in any way like things need to be done?

I just want to add time to a ticket so I can track how much time a ticket has taken to finish, then I want to run a report so I can see how much time a client has needed over a certain time frame? Can this be done currently?

If not, what is the point of adding time to a ticket if it can’t be reported on?

As you can see, this has been a very confusing area and I think it really needs to be reviewed or documented with videos much more than it has.

We are just two months into Syncro and I have to admit that I was testing/playing with it for six months before we actually migrated away from CW Manage. I didn’t pay much attention to this because I just assumed we would “figure it out” once we started using the platform on a daily basis. Alas that doesn’t seem to be the case and what is more concerning is Syncro doesn’t seem to think there is any issue here or have any plans on changing how this works. That is really concerning me. I thought these guys were coming out with updates and improvements all the time but it seems since we switched it has all came to a halt.

I also have never really even talked to anyone from there except the crew on the weekly Friday WebEx. Starting to think I made a big mistake here. I know we are losing money over this ticket/timer situation and no one seems to be “listening” or care. That @Andy guy shows up on the online meetings here and there spouting about how he loves money and wants “us” to make money but I’m wondering about the latter part of the statement. He totally loves our money for sure.

All of the time will show up one invoices when I bill a customer that is on a contract with $0 cost of labor? Why would it ever be considered acceptable to invoice clients for every single time entry? This can’t be true, but if it is, we may have to jump ship.

@Frank I have a question about this. I am wondering about adding a new labor rate to my list of items I can select when I add a note on a ticket. If I add one called, “Internal” or whatever I want to call it, set the labor rate at $0 per hour, if I add a note with 1 hour of “Internal” time on the ticket, but don’t click charge, will that show me somewhere how much “internal” time I billed to this client anywhere?

What I want to do is track my time but not bill for it on an invoice. If I know that my internal time is going to be included in whatever agreement we have with them, like a phone call, could I just select that item?

I know I could add this to a contract, but this means I would have to add a contract for every single client I have. I just want an overall, “FREE LABOR” rate to add.

Is this doable?

@dpaul Yes, if you charge for the time and create an invoice, it will put each line item on the invoice with a $0 amount. This is what I am trying to figure out how not to do since Syncro doesn’t natively do this.

@Andy has agreed with me in the past that this section needs an overhaul and would like to allow this to happen much smoother. I am with you, we don’t need to send an invoice to a customer showing a $0 amount. Possibly only a report on what was included in the contract.

There really should be an AYCE option for contracts - in the override, a simple check box saying “Do not bill for this item” in addition to the price override.

1 Like

@Frank Any way you can answer my question from above? I did add a new labor rate but need to know how to look at a ticket to see the time it took to resolve. Does this report exist?

Hey @mike,

The closest thing we have is the Time Time Entry report. It will show all charges that have been made on tickets. It can be filtered by Employee and date range. Charged time will be green and uncharged is yellow.

@Frank , so there’s no way to look at this by customer?

Are there any plans to make this a capability? This is something pretty basic to a PSA.

@mike I still agree with this. For the remainder of the year we’ll be finishing up our rollout of Policy Inheritance and providing development tweaks there where necessary, bringing our Mac agent out of beta, and finalizing some security stuff we were talking about recently like the IP allow list for global admins.

Beyond that into next year, PSA is going to become my primary focus. I pretty much agree with everything that was said here in this thread and it’s all improvements we need to make.

Can you please detail for me how you are losing money through ticket timers? As I wrote above, I agree with the asks in this thread, but I am trying to get a better understanding of how this is actually costing you money in some way in regard to lost revenue. If it’s viable, I’ll add it to the changes we’re looking to make around the PSA next year.

In regard to your other comment, I do love money, and I don’t suspect that’s ever going to change. It was always my core driver during my MSP days. In equal measure, I love hearing from MSPs as they message with with their stories of how they continue to grow on our platform and are now generating levels of revenue they never thought possible prior. My love for that, too, is never going to change. To be fair, though, if I was only concerned with the money MSPs pay into Syncro, I’d be lobbying for moving to a per-asset pricing model vs our unlimited model, separate charges for the PSA, forced multi-year contracts, onboarding fees (one for the PSA, and another for the RMM of course), platform fees, and monthly calls from our sales department to every MSP. These are the norms in the MSP space with few exceptions. I am proud to be part of a company that remains one of those exceptions.

I can share how we lose money. In previous PSA (all we used), we would start timers as we open tickets, and end the timer after notes are entered. Now, due to the nature of how the timer works, my techs are not using it. They find it very frustrating and disruptive. They now enter time manually (or forget time altogether) and I have a noticed reduction in billable time across all techs.

1 Like

Could this just be a training issue with using a new system? What’s hard about clicking the start timer when you start and the end timer when you finish? What specifically is happening that makes them not do it? Is it a UI issue?

No way to enter notes while working, on the timer, so the notes are on the time entry when the timer is stopped.

Currently, they have to keep notes of their work somewhere else. When they stop the timer, they then have to open the log, then clear the charge for the time, then click ok on the confirmation, then copy their notes from elsewhere, then click the time entry to add notes, then paste the notes into the time entry, then save the note, then charge the time, then close the log.

This is not a training issue.

Interesting. There is definitely no way to add any notes while the timer is running. I am not sure if that is a bug or by design. @Andy or @Frank should be able to help with that. It would seem like if you start a timer, a new window would pop up allowing you to add notes in there. So I can see how you would not be able to make notes. You can however, add an entry before you start the timer, so when you go back to view the log, you can add more notes that way, but that doesn’t help because the techs would have to enter notes from memory.

@dpaul Speaks the truth.

@Andy I am just glad there is someone acknowledging that our voices are being heard (sometimes our posts in this forum are deleted) because no one has ever said that. It’s always been “you can do it however you want” which isn’t totally true because I want to hit the start timer and be able to enter notes under it while its running.

@larry I’m not aware of any posts having been deleted unless they break the rules (which you’d really have to go out of your way to do).

While I would agree there are workarounds to what you are asking for, some of which have been discussed here, they are all workarounds. I know what you are after and I agree if you have staff trained on using the flow you describe from some other platform it can be a jarring change. Updates to ticketing (and the entire PSA, really) will likely come next year when we plan to make a significant amount of updates across the board there.

2 Likes