Power Platform / Syncro Connector Setup HOWTO

Hi All,

I know there is another thread in relation to Power Platform Connectors how-ever i wanted to provide a detailed overview of what we did to setup a Syncro connector in Power Automate. I have seen some other examples where a few others have setup their definations (Syncro API calls) by hand. We considered doing the same how-ever with the large amount of possible combinations we decided to try and shortcut this procedure.

After some research and a bit of mucking around we noticed that all the API call data is actually provided already by Syncro in the a swagger JSON file located here: https://api-docs.syncromsp.com/swagger.json the downside is that it’s actually built for a newer standard than Power Automate will support for import. Syncro provide the file in OpenAPI 3.0.0 standard and in order to import an OpenAPI file into a Power Automate connector it needs to be in Swagger 2.0 format. After a bit of mucking around we were able to convert the OpenAPI 3.0.0 JSON file into a Swagger 2.0 import file. I have provided a copy of this file on github for anyone who may wish to use this method. I obviously thave not tested every API call to ensure that everything is working how-ever i am yet to find one that does not work.

Swagger 2.0 Syncro API File: https://github.com/esperto/syncro-swagger-2.0/blob/main/swagger.json

In order to import this file download and save it to your computer then open up Power Automate and go to Data → Custom Connectors → New custom connector → Import an OpenAPI file

Connector name: SyncroAPI
Import an OpenAPI file: select the downloaded swagger.josn file

Click Continue

On the 1. General step change the icon and description if you wish and update the Host field with your Syncro subdomain.

On the 2. Security step you can leave this information that is prefilled as is.

On the 3. Definition step you will see all the different API calls. The only thing i dont particular like about this method of import is there is just soo many different actions and references imported it can be a little difficult to customize. How-ever because this data has been pulled directly from the Syncro API it should contain every possible API call you can complete anyway so i can’t see a reason to modify any of this.

Now click Create connector

Now go to Data->Connections->New Connection and search for the SyncroAPI custom connector you jsut made. You should be able to add this connector and set the API Key value (you will need to follow the standard Syncro instructions on setting up an API key with the appropriate permissions).

You should now be able to add SyncroAPI calls to your flows. Here are some examples:

Hopefully this helps some of you who have been asking on how to connect Power Automate with Syncro. Let me know if you have any questions and ill be happy to help where i can.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this! I feel like this would be more valuable than the Zapier integration since most companies are already using MS365 with Power Automate included. I’m waiting on a test to go through so I can build an automation for sending alerts from Syncro through to PagerDuty using Power Automate. Once I have it done, I’ll share that as well.

2 Likes

No worries at all. I thought it would be helpful sharing this. Agreed far more useful than the zapier integration (apart from having to manually setup your own triggers using the notification centre).

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together, I’ve got a few questions @nfratangelo and I really appreciate your time in advance.
Since I haven’t dug into the Zapier integration nor started to implement this yet, would you mind explaining the pros/cons between the two? Just curious.
Also, are you referring to using webhooks in the notification center in order to trigger Power Automate? Did you find that you needed to setup multiple notification sets because your automations required having different webhooks?

So sorry @joel1 i completely missed this reply from you. More than happy to help answer any questions you have.

So basically the advantage of using Power Automate in the way i have set it up is that you have access to the entire Syncro API’s features with a simple click inside of your Automate flows. You can achieve the same features using integromat and zapier but the difference is if you want to call back to the Syncro API you have to manually build that out by referencing the Syncro API documentation and then build out each request manually. I have basically created a way for you to shortcut that process with very little thought or trial and error required.

As for the webhooks, you are 100% correct in order to trigger either external system to action something when an event occurs in Syncro (for example, a payment was made) you need to setup a webhook in the notifiication centre and hit the specific URL. The notification also passes JSON data about the event as part of the webhook so thats how you extract data from Syncro as the event occurs.

The only advantage Zapier has over other solutions is because its natively integrated with Syncro they allow you to enable the monitoring/trigger of an event (for example: when an invoice is created) from the Zapier side. I am guessing it is still actually doing this using webhooks but there is no manual setup invovled. In saying that how-ever i think you can only monitor 3 events, customer created, invoice created and ticket created.

Yes you do have to have seperate webhooks setup for each event, this is because the webhook URL will most likely be different for each type of event you want to capture. You could write something to capture mutliple types of events in Power Automate but it would make it overly complex so seperate notification webhook events is the best method.

Let me know if you have any other questions.