Please bring back "on the fly" policy modification on individual asset pages

Was midway through migrating a large customer to a Monitoring+Bitdefender from a Base Monitoring policy when Syncro apparently automatically upgraded us to effective policy with no opt-out… The reason this was so jarring is that I had all the assets for the customer open in individual tabs, where I was running a script to uninstall their current AV first then quickly change the monitoring policy. This new change completely ruins the flow of individual asset management. Please give us back that policy dropdown chooser? Why would anyone want a link to a read only overview in its place? I really feel someone overlooked something in this department. In this same vein, on the customer overview page, we no longer have an at a glance scrollable overview of the various policies of assets (after clicking VIEW ALL). This is super helpful when trying to navigate the asset list to pin point a machine name and the logged in user while ensuring they have the correct monitoring policy applied.

Thanks for reading
-Ethan

4 Likes

Agreed. We want the policy change ability as well on an asset with a quick drop down!

1 Like

It’s not there because you don’t assign policies to an asset directly unless you want to do an individual override. Assets can have more than 1 policy assigned now, so it doesn’t behave the same way. Instead, you go to Company > Assets & Policies and manage things there. You can also open a machine from that page. Different flow, instead of going to Assets & RMM and viewing the list of assets and showing the column for assigned policy, you go to Assets & Policies, look at the folder that has the policy assigned to and make sure the system is under that folder.

@cloud Being able to change the policy at the asset level won’t work anymore, it’s not how assignment is done. The asset belongs to a policy folder, not a policy and assets no longer need a policy and in most cases won’t have a policy directly assigned to it. If you can get into the mindset of GPO, it will make more sense. I would like to see a link back to the Assets & Policies page, however, so that one could edit as quickly as possible instead of having to manually click through to the customer and then over to the tab.

This really should have been a choice not a force. We have several policies that are based on Hypervisor, VM and then client workstations. now instead of having 1 Policy for Hypervisors, and 1 Policy for Server VM’s. this is forcing us to make a separate policy for each. whos going to pay for the extra time now? sighs.

2 Likes

I understand how it works now, but that doesn’t give simple asset management. I know how to find what I need to to make changes, but I don’t have an overview of all assets with an at a glance set of columns with identifiable information - most importantly the logged in user. Thats one of the best ways to find a machine (all our assets are serial numbers for machine names) and make quick changes.

I write complex GPOs on DCs regularly and struggle to look at this as some parallel. Changing policies for an asset now involves dragging it down to a new location then hitting save. Its really tedious and involves extra steps. Ive used alot of RMMs and Syncro, while it has its weaknesses, has its strengths in its simplicities. It makes no sense that they are trying to re-invent the wheel here.

3 Likes

At the very least, the Effective Policy page should have a link to the Customer Policy page so one can readily and easily move an individual asset to a new policy, rather than having to step back/forward through pages to navigate to the customer policies.
Syncro developers need to understand that these small matters of clunky navigation, (while appearing trivial), make the platform annoying to use on a daily basis.

3 Likes

I agree. The resources used to change this could of been used to fix the many problems that have been going on. This should have never been forced.

1 Like

You could not possibly make it more complicated that was previously simple. It has cost dozens of billable hours to straighten it out and it is still awkward and counter-intuitive. At $100 / hour, we have invested (wasted) more than $1200 + in time that could be better spent billing customers, or finding new ones.

I didn’t do anything :), I’m not, nor do I work for Syncro. Growing pains, changes have to happen for the platform to be able to grow with its users. They added a link that takes you directly to the asset in the policy folder. Of course it is extra clicks, but there’s going to be more clicks no matter what since there are now policy trees vs the single policy there was. They could improve it and do an overlay/popup module instead of a new tab, QBO does full page popups all the time while staying in the same tab, so it’s possible for Syncro to do the same.

You can still assign a single policy to a single Asset if you wish.

I would like to see what others are doing for their organization of policy inheritance. Here is a clip of what I do.

Add the LAST USER to the columns list in Assets. Then your work flow would be: Select Customer, scroll down to All Assets for the customer. Your list will contain the Last User for every asset.

You can also create a browser shortcut to the customer asset list to save a few more clicks.

2022-03-01 11_46_16

1 Like

That’s similar to what I’ve seen. You made the top level folder the Windows Workstation instead of the company name. You could do it a different way, Managed and Non-Managed as the top levels, then apply a top-level policy that can work on Mac and Windows, or create a 3rd top for Macs, 4th for Retired or w/e. If they have multiple offices, you can segment by office. Endless variations to it.

Yes, I understand that.

But I do not believe that adding a policy will not remove any drive monitoring. I might be wrong.

Default Policy

Top Level – Drive Monitoring C:, D:, E:

Next Level – Drive Monitoring C:

Result: C:;D:; and E: drives are still monitored.

Servers all have C drives, sometimes D and/or E: F: G: etc.

The problem is the default monitoring for workstations.

D is usually the CD-rom Drive
E is when a USB is plugged in

Although some workstations have D: and/or E: Hard/SSD/USB drives that need to monitored.

So far, I have to go through every asset in advance to eliminate false alerts for when someone puts in a CD-DVD or Flash drive, or fight them as they pop up.
I am fighting them as they pop up. Rip out the existing policy, add a new policy for just the C-Drive, then add another policy for other fixed drives.

Its just a pain that better planning could have eliminated….Possibly…depending on who is doing the programming. LOL

Correct, some items in the policy are additive only. I think Syncro needs to mark those. They were talked about by @Andy in the presentation.

Yeah drive monitoring is additive.

@rick.cassel What I would recommend for drive monitoring is having your top-level policy monitor only the System Drive. If you absolutely need to monitor secondary drives that are different across the board, then that would be per-asset settings, or more likely, you could break subfolders into Workstation/Server and those would likely have similar configurations between the two.

If you try monitoring all drives (even with the old policy model) you are likely to have to create a new policy every time you find an exception.

Here’s how I did it for our servers. I do not have any drive monitoring on the Servers policy, I created individual HDD monitor policies and applied them to the asset. I could do as Andy suggested and monitor C on the servers policy and then drop C from the individual policies. I could have also created subfolders and applied there instead of the assets. Lots of flexibility to achieve the end result.

Workstations, we just do the C unless warranted, but is rare for our clients to have a secondary internal drive.

I hate to sound like an end user that wants the new software to work like the old software, but in this case, I am, and do.
You may recall the ease and simplicity of overriding drive(s) in the old system. Click,Click done. Try to match it with the new system, where all assets have preassigned policies that carried over. Now have to rip, replace and add additional policy(s) for additional drives for every asset….or chase them as they pop up. Yes, we do feel it is important to monitor our clients critical data and advise them when it is getting full, regardless of what drive the data is on.