OS Release Version is not Updating

I run monthly reporting on endpoints and include the Windows feature level they’re running. Until recently I’ve been able to use the “OS Release Version” field however it appears to not go beyond 2009 on any asset. The “OS Build” field IS updating however this is much less user-friendly (it’s so much easier at-a-glance to know that 21H2 is current, compared with “build 19044.1586”).

Is this working as intended?

Hi Jordan, are these all Win10 systems?

Yes. Highlighted here is my own system, running 21H2, 19044, yet showing in Syncro as 2009.

Unfortunately this is Microsoft’s own stupidity. It reports itself as 2009 for the last several builds. You’ll need to start going by the build number field instead.

Windows does have the right release version stored in a different registry location if Syncro wants to start check that instead, but it needs to be an ‘if’ statement as that key ISN’T present in older versions as I recall. Code from my Windows Update check script:

# Grab version and convert to numerical format, 19041 and older do not have DisplayVersion so we grab ReleaseID
if ((Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion").DisplayVersion) {
$Version = ((Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion").DisplayVersion).replace('H1','05').replace('H2','11')
}
else { 
        $Version = (Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion").ReleaseId 
}
1 Like

Issac has it right, they are storing it in a different location now. We’ve got a dev case tracking that to see if we can make an adjustment. I’ll get you linked up!

1 Like