OneDrive backups with warnings

When doing a backup of a Microsoft OneDrive, the history will typically show a Status of Completed.

Backup History

But if you click Details, you may see several warnings.

Backup errors

These warnings happen when there are files here that are only available in the cloud. The backup was considered successful but gave warnings to let you know it couldn't back up the cloud-hosted files.

Consider adding the files with warnings to the Exclusions so that you won't get the warnings.

Disabling the “Files-On-Demand” feature in OneDrive is another option. This will save all OneDrive files on the local drive. Follow these steps to disable the feature:

1. Right-click OneDrive in the System Tray
  2. Click the menu icon > Settings > Settings tab > “Files-On-Demand” section → disable the “Save space and download files as you use them” option

I have several customers who had this issue. I found that disabling Files-On-Demand will accumulate clutter in the one drive folder. Also, I have customers who have Personal and Business OneDrive accounts on their computers. I exclude the folders for things that cannot be backed up with the entries below. Notice the * at the end of the OneDrive path.

c:\users*\appdata
c:\users*\dropbox
c:\users*\onedrive*

I think this is in the documentation for the backup module; but without the extra * for OneDrive.

As a side note, I learned the hard way that some programs store important data in the C:\ProgramData folder. So, I added program data to the inclusions. This caused several errors, mostly on Dell computers, because some of the files in C:\ProgramData cannot be saved. After excluding the folders that cause these errors, the backups now run with out errors.

The techniques I have implemented have saved me many hours of researching and troubleshooting the backup errors. In fact, the biggest problem I now have is people turning the computers off, missing backup runs. (They are not supposed to turn-off their computers.) I have checks in the box to “run at next bootup if missed” but it doesn’t seem to work.
I hope this is helpful.

Use an O365 backup tool for the OneDrive, SharePoint and Email like Veeam or MSP360. Do not backup these folders locally.

2 Likes

Ugh. I don’t want to imagine trying to track down when a specific file was updated / backed up with this system that will ignore cloud-only files.

You’re just going to have to turn around and try to restore it from SharePoint instead :upside_down_face:

Now, if the system was to intelligently check if there were not-yet-Synced files and back THOSE up - that might be useful