Old versions of Emsisoft

The latest version of Emsisoft doesn’t support Server 2012. Not knowing this, I uninstalled Emsisoft on one machine because it was freezing during every scan. Syncro can’t push Emsisoft back to the server now. Where can I find an installer for an older version? Emsisoft’s website wasn’t very helpful. A Syncro tech told me another client used an older installer but they wouldn’t tell me how to find it myself.

1 Like

It also doesn’t support Windows 7. It just stops working. So, I doubt it will pay to reinstall.

Our support team can troubleshoot if the latest version of the Emsisoft isn’t being installed on a machine. For getting older versions, Emsisoft would be a better source because they would be more aware of any lapses in security from using an older version. The last thing we’d want to do is recommend an older version of a partner’s antivirus that wasn’t completely secure.

An old version is going to be more secure than no AV, though. Since Server 2012 is still supported by Microsoft we aren’t prepared to replace these machines.

Direct from Emsisoft as of October 2021 when I was having the same issues

The process for installing on out of support versions of Windows is now somewhat complicated, and I apologize for the hassle. This is what you’ll need to do:

Download the 64 bit or 32 bit legacy installer, depending on whether your version of Windows is 32 bit or 64 bit (if you don’t know, Please gather and send a diagnostic log by following the instructions listed here: How do I use the Emsisoft Diagnostic Tool? - Emsisoft Help)

32 bit: https://dl.emsisoft.com/Legacy_EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup32.msi
64 bit: https://dl.emsisoft.com/Legacy_EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup64.msi

Then download your regular tagged installer:

Log into your MyEmsisoft account, using your email address and password, using the forgot password link if needed: https://my.emsisoft.com/
Click the “Install protection” or “Add device” button in the upper-right side of the page to download a pre-keyed installer. Do not rename the file that is downloaded, because the long name is required for activation to work properly.
Then, rename the legacy_EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup MSI file to match the name of the downloaded current tagged installer. You can do this more easily by highlighting the tagged installer file and pressing F2 on your keyboard, then press ctrl-c to copy the name. Then highlight the Legacy_EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup file and press F2, then press ctrl-v to paste, then press enter for it to save the new name.

Lastly, right-click on the newly renamed file and run as administrator. That should take care of it.

2 Likes

Thanks @liam2. It took some arguing with Emsisoft but they gave me the same. Since we use it “managed by Syncro” we don’t have a key or account, but thankfully Syncro picked it up and licensed it automatically after a couple of hours!

Good to know it gets picked up by Syncro when not using the Emsisoft portal.

Glad you posted this as I was searching for the same info after posting about it in the facebook group.
It is a bit disappointing they just drop older versions and don’t have an installer that can install legacy automatically on older OS’s. I am in the process of having some customers finally shutdown 2008r2 servers that they did not want to upgrade due to old software they owned. And working on the upgrade path on 2012 servers (Thankfully only a couple most jumped from over 2012)

I understand not all features work with older OS’s but if I at least have an engine that is getting updates and can do scans that is way better than it running unprotected.

I am going to give this a try on the few 2008 R2’s I still have running. Did not want to have to go back to bitdefender to support them.