Need help with Ticket time tracking and workflow

I wish there was a document or something explaining what it means and how a ticket flow should go. Right now I’m not fully understanding how the ticket timer is supposed to work. We are coming from CW Manage. It was pretty straight forward. You start working on a ticket, you hit the timer, A window would open up and you could put your notes of what was done etc. stop the timer and it would add the time and notes to the ticket. I start a timer in Syncro then it immediately starts a timer but locks the input and labor rate. It doesn’t seem to work with any logic I have. I don’t get it. So now I find I am writing up my notes in a notepad and then pasting them in the labor log and the communications area.

How do you do it? Sorry to ask but I don’t have any straight answers to give my techs and it is pretty hap hazard right now. We just went live last month and I feel like we are letting $ slip through.

It almost seems like the timer was an after thought.

1 Like

I come from the CW world as well. We are finding our productivity and happiness have improved markedly since moving to Syncro. You do have to change the way you do some things. We have simplified our processes in the transition.

The timer in CW was good and is definitely in need of changes in Syncro. That said, I have resorted to tracking my time and just entering the minutes in the tickets. We are still experimenting with the time and whish there was just a simple timer that could enter the minutes consumed in the ticket minutes spent field. I also whish it would understand something like 1.5h and convert that to minutes.

1 Like

Yes! Agreed! Our lives have been way more frustration free without over chunkiness and slow pages.

I’m glad you told me how you are doing it so I don’t think I’m missing something or going crazy!

Thanks again!

Glad you both are enjoying things so far! From what I remember in my use of Manage you’d enter a start and end time on the ticket, sent as a comment. Which then went into a timesheet of sorts.

In Syncro, it’s a little different though you still get a log. You can hit the start/stop timer to start logging time. When you hit stop it gets sent to the log.

Once you open the log this format may be a little more familiar. You can add time with a start/end or edit an existing entry in a duration of minutes. If anything is chargeable you hit charge time and it will send the labor item to the Ticket Charges area to be invoiced.

You could create a test ticket and enter some time to play around with it, then delete things after. If you find there’s parts of your workflow that don’t fit with how the timer works now, use cases are always a great way to provide an example.

The problem is this is separate from the ticket notes and requires additional entry and notes.
Also the start and end times are clunky. It is too picky on the format of typing in a direct time, it does not understand 24 hour time and the up/down buttons take too much effort. I should be able to type in 1701 and have it understand 5:01 pm. There could also be a duration field that takes the start time and adds the duration to come up with an end time. Again it should understand 60, 90 or 1.5h (=90)

3 Likes

I hate to go down the well again but its been two weeks and we (or at least I) are still not 100% on enter time etc. We are actually losing time since moving to Syncro because of the confusion of how the ticketing/timer/time entry should work.

We had an hour long meeting two days ago to discuss and come up with a procedure. What I discovered was my techs were not using the timer and just “putting” their time in which results in more than not no time being entered. So you can image how that works out.

It is so f**ing clunky. Our QuickBooks is also a mess since moving over as we have things double syncing payments etc. I am so exhausted from these two items. As a whole yes, Syncro is much easier and made less stress but now its stressing our financials and that is a BIG problem.

I just wish someone would say how ticketing and the QuickBooks billing should work. Honestly the ticketing time an QB seem like after thoughts as clunky as they work.

Here is the procedure we came up with…We did have the Communications set to Email for default but have changed it to ‘Public Note’ now. Trying to reduce fluffy on the actual invoice also, if need the client can login and look at the details in the public ticket…Anyway, here is what we are trying now:

• Ticket is opened via email or manual entry in Syncro
  • Ticket is assigned to tech
  • Tech puts the ticket status ’ In Progress
  • Tech selects the ’ Rate ’ for the Labor Log
  • Tech starts the Labor Log timer and begins work
  • Tech emails the client with a canned response like ‘Investigating’ or ‘Working the issue’, etc.
  • While working the ticket internal tech notes are added in the Private Note field - there may be many entries
  • When completing the ticket notes on what was performed is put into a Public Note - this can be more technical of what was done
  • Once the performed work has been entered into the Public Note - Stop the Labor Log timer
  • Email the client (via Syncro) what was done - does not have to be technical, just basics of what was done.
  • Put ticket into Final Approval status

Anyone care to share how they are doing it?

2 Likes

So, after using this “procedure” for a week it is already falling apart and not work. Too many moving parts apparently.

There has to be a better way.

Can you elaborate on where the procedure is falling apart?

It appears that the techs are now putting everything in private notes. I just think there are too many steps.

@larry If it helps, I don’t add time using the ticket timer, because you can accomplish the same thing by adding notes and adding the amount of time in the labor item below the note box.

You can also change the default type of entry that is made on the ticket. Private may be selected now in your Tickets preferences in the Admin section. If you want the default option to be Public Note or Email, you can change it in there, then your techs don’t need to select in the drop down.

I posted about this separately as well. We all use timers, and always have. It’s in our SOP to start a timer when opening the ticket (our previous system auto-started a timer when the ticket was opened). Now techs have to guess their time and I have to trust that they enter it correctly. Our productivity and billed time has dropped from our previous PSA, and some are forgetting to enter or track their time altogether.

Inability for my team to use a timer for tickets (like every PSA in existence) is embarrassing for me. I like Syncro overall, and hope these things get fixed.

@dpaul We to are having less time billed. I’m not sure where to go with this platform since we need timers for accurate billing. What is annoying me the most is I have brought this up in every different Syncro communications platform possible and no one has said it is going to be fixed or anything. It’s just like there it is take it or leave it. I may have to leave it. After all the heartache and fighting internally about moving platforms this isn’t setting well. HaloPSA? Freak I don’t know. I shouldn’t even be looking at Halo but I was peeking at it yesterday while on the Syncro Technical call…ugh

Thanks @mike I did set the default from email that we were using to Public Notes but they are selecting private. I also feel now the client isn’t getting a resolution information on the closed ticket email since really there is none.

You can modify what the resolved ticket template sends the customer when you resolve a ticket and email them. There is a ticket tag you can enter for notes. There are probably some others you can add there too if that helps.

Yes, thanks. I have done that a little. Problem is just getting others to do it the same I guess. Maybe turning off the timer is the best approach.

So I’m going to suggest something a little different, having tried it the Syncro way.

Goal #1 is to capture all billable time. If it’s easy for people to do that, you will capture more time. It’s not easy to do that in Syncro, especially when you are dealing with things that aren’t tickets, like projects. And the “make everything a ticket” approach is just awkward. Everything isn’t a ticket.

Goal #2 is to give clients an invoice that is understandable, and isn’t six pages of 5-minute time entries.

So go get a good time tracking solution like Toggl or Clockify, track your time there, run a single report to summarize the time for each client, bill it as a single line item on the invoice, and attach the pretty report from your time tracking app You can do a simple integration via Zapier or Integromat to populate tickets in the time tracking app so it’s there when people need it (don’t do the built-in Syncro Toggl integration). You can do the same from your project management software. So much better.

@shane1 I had this same thought a couple of days ago and investigated the Toggl but it seemed like some tool that was all over the place but I will check out the Clockify. Thanks.

@shane1 Clockify looks awesome! I am going to mess with that…bummer that here I am going to another portal…thought Syncro was reducing that for me…ugh.

@larry Toggl Track is great, but yes, they have confused things with the other products. Clockify is basically the same thing (and I mean almost exactly the same thing!), but cheaper. Yes, it’s another place to go, but it works so much better that you won’t mind :slight_smile: There are desktop and mobile apps and browser extensions as well, so you really only go to the web interface when you bill.

My definition of ease of use for my techs is to be able to do it in the ticket in Syncro. We already have a vast Improvment in tech ticket productivity after switching to Syncro.

There are just a few small tweaks needed to create a huge Improvment. I am really not interested in adding yet another tool, portal, thing to learn, administrative task, and expense. That seems like going backwards.