Mac Agent Installation

Hi All,

I’m taking over from another MSP that uses Datto right now. I created a Mac package for them to run for installation. But it keeps failing. Here is the error they sent me:

installer: Package name is Syncro Agent

installer: Installing at base path /

installer: Preparing for installation……

installer: Preparing the disk……

installer: Preparing Syncro Agent……

installer: Waiting for other installations to complete……

installer: Configuring the installation……

installer:

installer: Running package scripts……

installer: Validating packages……

installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Mac Installer Attivo.pkg”.)

Is there something special they need to do when pushing it to the mac’s? The error really doesn’t say much.

What MacOS version does the target run? The current Mac Agent installer has a minimum requirement:

Q: What macOS versions does the Mac Agent support?

A: Just like Apple, we’ll ensure that the Mac Agent supports the current version and the prior three versions. Currently, our agent supports Monterey (12), Big Sur (11), Catalina (10.15), Mojave (10.14) and High Sierra (10.13). The Mac Agent supports the Apple M1 processor.

I’d recommend you ensure the target is on Catalina at a minimum - although the KB article says High Sierra is supported, I had issues on an older Mac running it (due to the changes in file permissions on later versions).

Hi @jason3, if you have checked that the device meets all of the minimum requirements and still running into trouble, could you put in a ticket with support so that they can have a closer look?

Has this been explained yet? I am hesitant to roll this RMM Agent out. As far as I can tell it does not create an Apple Menu → System Preference → “Profile” item on the Mac and therefore will most likely FAIL to install since it won’t have the “rights” to do so! It might even install but I doubt it will be able to DO anything!

RMM’s don’t do that. You are thinking about an MDM which creates profiles. Not the same thing by any means. The RMM agent installs just fine for plenty of us who are supporting macOS devices. I’m sure there is a specific reason why it’s failing for this gentleman.

So you are trying to run that through the current Datto RMM? Have you tried just doing a local interactive install on one machine just to see if your package is good?

I have never had an issue manually installing the agent on Mac and we now deploy the agent automatically through Mosyle (MDM) and it works perfectly.

I would assume the issue is with how Datto handles scripting

I don’t think that’s the issue here. I use DRMM everyday. Installing Syncro from Datto is super easy.

Create your package, upload it into the component creation in Datto, and then literally all you need are these 2 lines:

#!/bin/bash

touch /tmp/syncro-noui && sudo installer -target / -pkg ./NAMEOFYOURPACKAGE.pkg