Link Customers to Purchase Orders!

I am re-opening this because it is so crucial to our whole business and the previous one got closed!

Please Syncro! We are really struggling with keeping track of stock that has been ordered for customers and knowing if it has been invoiced out to them or not (this could impact stock loss greatly for us if we lose track of ordered items) Also please note that the “Part Order” thing is useless in this situation…

This is very crucial to the running of a business. With our old system, the customer name was added to the purchase order (If you added no name, it assumed it was for your stock). Then when you received the stock in, it would allocate itself to the customer so when you wanted to make an invoice it would say there were outstanding items to be added - as it already does but with it linking to the purchase of the item. This meant that a record was kept of not only what was ordered over the month but who the items were to be charged to when invoicing was done. This would ensure that everything had been billed for that month end (and all time). What would be nice with the way I have suggested is that if the invoice or ticket was deleted, a request would pop up asking if you wanted the item/s to go back into stock or stay “To be Billed” against a customer. It would also stop people just being able to randomly change stock amounts as they would be specifically joint to orders and customers. It is a safe way to make sure your stock on hand always has a reason for being the amount it is - either because you have sold it to a customer, or still have some in stock. This helps with accurate Stocktake as you can investigate where it went wrong if you encounter miss-matched SOH.

The current way we deal with this is time consuming, clunky and has the potential for items miss being billing to customers. We currently have to put the ticket number or invoice number and customer name onto the “General Notes” (and “shipping notes” so they go through to Xero) and when the item has arrived, double check it has been invoiced correctly otherwise it might be missed - and, I’m pretty sure items have been missed in the past.
We feel this is a large hole in the purchasing to invoicing system with inventory.
We cant be the only company that purchases items to be sold for specific customers?

We have similar struggles with it.
We’ve worked out a system to handle it, but it is clunky and not clear at all how it works.

We enabled the ‘backorder feature’ and make sure to set “Do not pull inventory for estimates.”
This sets up an order fulfill feature, and prevents estimates from affecting your inventory counts. Estimates also create pending orders regardless if they are approved or not. I can’t remember if it subtracts from your inventory if you have a count on hand, I think it does. Very very bad for inventory tracking! Why affect inventory or pending orders before an estimate is approved?!

We also found it extremely unclear that when an item is added to a ticket or an estimate it removes it from your inventory count.
When you add an item(s) to a ticket it decrements the inventory count. If you remove it from the ticket it increments the count. This part IS nice for stock takes as we can count it more accurately for what’s not spoken for. Problem is that QuickBooks doesn’t see it as gone from inventory until it’s invoiced, so we have to watch out between the two.

Once we figured out the above issues, we worked out this method:
We create a PO and put the customers name &/or ticket number in the general or shipping notes. We also add the item to the ticket after we create the PO. When the items arrive we open the PO and select “receive” which it will then ask to fulfill pending orders (usually the tickets we have it added on). Then we print out a ticket label and attach it to the items and store them separate from the normal inventory, i.e. with the rest of the ticket/project items.

The Pending Orders is controlled on a per item basis by what is filled into “Reorder at” and “Desired Stock Level.”
If you’re like us and most items we don’t keep on hand, leave BOTH fields empty. Don’t even enter a zero in them. If you put a zero it will create pending orders and make it a mess to clean up.

It’s work out well for us so far, but it took well over a year to work out how the system works and adapt to it.

Yes we are the same, we have minimal stock on hand and do most of our ordering for jobs. It took ages to figure out the the “Fulfil order” function which we currently have on which works once the item is added to a ticket or invoice, which is an ok work around, but it doesn’t safe guard against human error, like ordering something but accidentally forgetting to add it to the ticket or invoice so it just gets missed off and sits in stock.
I agree, there are certainly clunky work arounds to “make it work” but it could be quite nice to have a proper fix to make it so you don’t have to worry you’re letting stock slip! Every other program that has stock and manages the ordering, processing and invoicing of stock has the simple function to assign a customer.
Hopefully Syncro make changes soon!