How to remove Syncro agent but not delete the asset?

I would like to remove the Syncro Agent from the endpoint, but I don’t want to delete the asset.

Or put another way.
I would like to change the Asset Type of an Asset from “Syncro Device” to a different Asset Type, such as “Unmanaged Desktop”

Is the only way to delete the asset and recreate, thereby losing all linkages to existing contacts and historical tickets?

You can’t change a Syncro Device to another asset type, that’s just what agent assets are. You can uninstall the agent and the asset will stay in the dashboard. If you want to ‘archive’ an asset there’s not a great way to do that right now, best solution I’ve seen is to move the asset to an ‘Archive’ company, either a generic one for all clients or one for each client.

Do you mean uninstall from the end point?
Can I trigger that uninstall remotely?
Will the asset still have the same Syncro Device asset type?

In this case, I don’t want to archive the asset.
The customer is still a customer or ours, but their PC has reached 1 year old and they don’t want to continue with the support contract that we sold 1st year free with the PC.
The customer merely want AV (and the AV isn’t managed by Syncro)

From the endpoint, or via script. There’s an uninstall script at the bottom of the agent install page in help. As I said, the asset type cannot be changed. An agent is a Syncro Device period. Any other asset types you create are SNMP or just text records basically. For the situation you’ve described you’d want to setup a different Syncro policy without AV to apply to the asset or make an ‘Unmanaged’ folder in the client, apply the policy to that folder and move the asset into the folder. Read up on how this all works as some items override and some are cumulative, so you need to construct this carefully to get the desired results. If you have automatic billing setup based on number of assets instead of policy folders, you’ll need to adjust that to match.

thanks @isaacg
I will ponder your comments to find an acceptable solution.

We have a archive policy which has nothing on it. Rename the asset to include zARCHIVE before the name and move the asset to this policy. This means we still have history on this asset and should it ever come back into play we can still access it.
In your case you can create a unmanaged policy and rename asset accordingly

In this situation, the PC is moving from a Managed Service to a BreakFix Service.
There may still be tickets in the future for this PC, especially as we sold the PC and it is still covered by warranty (3 years) therefore we have to assume there is a some chance of needing to create tickets and perform repair services on the PC.

I’m hoping to get time to try using the API to

1. find all tickets linked to the specific asset
  2. remove the asset
  3. create an unmanaged asset
  4. assign the unmanaged asset to each of the tickets identified in step 1.

If you may need to get on it in the future why not just leave the agent on there, have you got some sort of automated billing based on Syncro assets?

Two reasons not to leave the Syncro agent on their device if a customer does not renew a managed service contract and becomes a break fix customer.

1. By not renewing our managed services contract, customer has effectively removed their consent for us to have remote access to their PC and their data. Removing the agent compiles with the customer’s removal of their consent, and perhaps even more importantly, lowers both our legal exposure and the customers risk profile in the event of our Syncro accounts being hacked or misused.
    If our Syncro accounts were hacked or misused and the customers equipment or data were impacted after the managed service contract had ended, what is our legal position? Probably not good.

2. Yes, we will be implementing automated billing based on assets deployed with Syncro.

Sounds like the best would be to (while I am using the word archived - it can be any status you feel would better explain its current status):

1. Uninstall the client it self - keep the asset for ticking and record keeping. All current information about the device shouldn’t be enough to be a problem/risk for any legal actions (as up to that point in time, the customer did agree to share said data with you). If you feel it does, remove any related information. Your main goal here is just removing the access. Any data collected so far is still yours for record keeping.
  2. Set that asset to an archive policy so billing isnt applied against. You can also automate some of the uninstalling here as well. Once a device gets this policy - a script can be ran to uninstall the client and access will no longer exist between you and that machine.
  3. Optional: I would also set a custom variable you can assign its current status this way your coworkers also know what status the asset is in. Again, this can happen at the policy level.

Over all - while you might not have the managed service attached to the device (the client) you can still track everything else about the machine as needed until the device/assets goes into full retirement. Creating another asset and trying to link it to the right tickets is just going to waste time and over all doesnt really help you long term as you do loose other information about that device. The only down side to this method these devices will still show up on reports. I do wish they had some type of method to not includes these, but you can just simply make clear any device that isnt managed to the client to simply ignore for now. You could also just move said asset to another company like “XYZ - Archive Devices” as well if you don’t want to even have them show up on reports.

1 Like

We do the same thing as @tim1 but place a short customer code as well. It gets messy with a lot of retired assets, and different clients may have the same asset name, like DC-1. Example: Z-AcmeCo-DC1. If it is a lost client, we shun them. Delete every trace of their existence and forbid uttering their name for all eternity. MLOL. Bruhahahaha.