Differentiate between Servers and Desktops/Laptops

It’s very frustrating that we have to have anything with a Syncro agent installed lumped together as “Syncro Device”. This needs to be separated into AT LEAST two categories (Servers and Workstations/Desktops/whatever you want to call not servers).

Firstly, integrations with other services like Hudu can’t be used very well in the current state - It’s not very practical to have servers and desktops in one category, because different layouts have different fields.

Secondly, trying to find assets for a specific client is, at best, annoying, and sometimes very painful (slow loading times coupled with a terrible oversight on the assets tab, or next to no overview on the customer’s policies folder tab). If I have 100+ workstations and 8 servers, I want to be able to see only servers. There’s no possible way to do this without them being separate entities in Syncro.

Fully agree. The “Syncro Agent” device type is misleading for lots of use cases.
I suspect we will be waiting a lifetime squared for Syncro to alter this.
In the meantime, can you modify the hostnames slightly to denote a server compared to a desktop/laptop?

Obviously a custom field could be used too, but I suspect denoting a server in a hostname might stand out better in reports and in the WebUI.

Agreed, and there’s plenty of other things I need fixed first lol but it’s just bizarre that Syncro lumps them all together - it’s the only RMM tool I’ve seen that does it.

Re hostnames and custom fields, it might make it a bit easier but our policy for all customers is to start the name with the letter(s) of the customer’s name, then what branch they are from, then the description. So when you have Bob Burgers Sydney, a computer and a server would both start with BB-SYD-RDS and BB-SYD-PC02, it’s still not very helpful… We chose that naming convention when we used NinjaRMM, and it worked well since the servers are considered different to workstations in Ninja…

And Hudu doesn’t sort by custom fields, it gives you the option “When a device is the Asset type, assign the layout”. No option for filtering, nor should there be a need to - Like I said, Domotz is just perfect with Hudu since it’s got more types than you know what to do with :slight_smile:

Thanks for the idea though Andrew, I appreciate it!

They do have it so you can figure that out… under Form Factor, also you can make your own custom variable and set that if you want a more actionable view.

One challenge I have against this thread is: How would they know if its a desktop, server, or laptop? Granted, I know there are some key things, but over all, lets say its a clone of a laptop over to a desktop - you wouldn’t really know if the client end is telling you different. Also there the fact anything can be a server without running a server os.

I’m not too worried about identifying desktops from laptops, since they aren’t critical infratstructure either way and don’t (read: shouldn’t, but I think we have all been there) be hosting services and apps :slight_smile: It’s servers that need to be separated from laptops/desktops, which should be easy because the VAST majority will be running Server OS, the chances of an end user having Server OS installed on their desktop is low (but never zero) so it would be a safe assumption with nearly zero edge cases.

And it’s not only so we can figure it out within Syncro, i’m trying to automate our documentation platform to fill in the server specs (RAM, HDD, CPUs etc) from Syncro, but can’t separate them into their own category, meaning I can’t utilize deifferent layouts (what fields are available for each item, e.g. on a server i’d have what services it runs, what Hyper-V host it’s on, etc etc etc whereas a desktop/laptop I wouldn’t want all those fields).

Edge cases like a Win 10 box running something a server OS should isn’t really a concern, since these would then be the exceptions rather than the norm.

Far as I know, again, this is possible using the custom variables above if that is your end goal to using the API to your documentation platform. You can do it in different ways, for example, have a script grab the OS, Type, or Something more in the lines that you set.