Check Asset Policy in Script

Is there a way to check the applied policy in a script?

I am working on a printer deployment script and would like to be able check what policy is applied to the asset in order to pull the correct CSV file for installation. I’m most the way finished with the script, I just don’t want to have to write several scripts to install printers to different policy folders.

No, because asset policies are comprised of multiple policies that were merged into one.

Also, what do you mean by installing printers into different policy folders?

You could always just pass the variable of what police the script is ran from. So managed vs unmanaged and then compare that variable out. As long as its a powershell script of course.

@Andy Yes, but it would nice to get a list of what makes up that over all police. ex: Default, Managed, AV. This way you can write out a script and it would just grab that information where needed vs having to put in manually for example.

We manage schools. I want to be able to install all the printers throughout the school to the staff and only a few printers to the students. I have a CSV file for each, but I’m trying to make a way for the script to grab the different CSV file depending on the policy that is applied to the asset.

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious here, but schools should be on domain environments no? Printer installs by location/subset of devices/OUs, etc., is super easy to do via a GPO and should be the way to go. Relying on outside tools like an RMM platform to do things that GPO is designed for seems less than ideal.

I can understand that the RMM could almost replace how a domain environment control / GPOs. When it comes to this - I would recommend also to go the domain route as you can control it by the user instead of guessing who logs into what machine. RMM could in theory find and track that as well - but at some point its going to get messy vs what a domain can do to solve for that.

If anything this can give you the power to argue how this school needs to start standardizing things going forward. Having security is going to be more important in the long run than trying to maintain a failing system in the short term.

I understand where you’re coming from and currently all the schools are managed through a domain environment. The vision of the CEO is to get away from group policy deployments and have all software installs and printer deployments managed through Syncro.

Yikes! Tell the CEO to let the technical decisions be handled by someone who is paid to make those decisions lol. Moving away from GPO to use RMM in it’s place is… just not what RMM is for.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with all that. Sorry if I derailed this thread.