Bulk update policy folder names?

I was a beta tester for Policy Inheritance and didn’t do a great job of standardizing my folder names while I played with it. Now I have some Customers with folders called “Endpoint Monitoring”, others called just “Monitoring”, or “Basic Package” etc. – all with the same policy assigned.

Is there a way to rename all the folders across all Customers that have the same policy assigned? For example, could I search all the folders with a policy called “Endpoint Monitoring” assigned, then bulk rename all of them? If I could just search by specific policies and then drill down to each each customer that has them, that would be better than going through every customer visually comparing folder names to policy names.

Hey David,

You can’t bulk update policy folder names. You can search for them in a roundabout way, though. You can use Saved Asset Searches to scan for a particular policy folder name. That will include multiple assets from the same folder, but you can grab the customer from those assets, make the change, and just rerun your search after each change until it’s empty. Repeat for each policy folder name you’d like to update.

The problem is that the Policy names are consistent – it’s the Policy folder names that aren’t. I can search for “Does not contain”, but my policies don’t all have similar names, so I’m still back to scanning visually for anything that doesn’t fit the current scheme.

Not a solution.

Sorry I am not completely understanding. You can search for policy folder name is or is not or contains or whatever is needed. You can’t search by policies specifically. I thought you were looking to unify your policy folder names, right?

Here’s representative sample of my policy folder names from 3 different clients. I can search “does not contain” on folder names, but I have several basic policies plus additional policies for exceptions, as the docs recommend. So if I search for “Policy Folder does not contain” I’ll have to run one search for each policy, which will show me all the folder names that don’t match that policy, which doesn’t narrow anything down much.

Well if you have like dozens of variants this might not work. But what I was suggesting is that if you have a bunch that are labeled as “Workstation” when you really want them to read say “CNS Monitoring,” then search for assets that are in a “Workstation” folder, open each unique customer from that list, and change those each to “CNS Monitoring.” Do that until your search results don’t contain anything left. Rinse and repeat for any other offending folders.

I have 4 main policies – a basic no-frills option, server monitoring, endpoint monitoring, and a special policy for macOS since it has totally different options. Per the policy inheritance docs, I then have 7 sub-policies for additional features not included in the main policies. I don’t think 11 is an extraordinary number of policies to have, given the nature of folder-based policy inheritance. Not being able to search or view Assets by Policy rather than Policy Folder is a real issue that should be addressed.

One of the reasons that searching Policy folder names for “contains” or “doesn’t contain” won’t solve this problem is that I named my sub-policies and sub-folders for how they differ from the main policies. For example, most of my assets are assigned the policy “Endpoint Monitoring”, but I wanted to install the search program “Everything” to some assets, so I created a policy “+install Everything” and then created a sub-folder with the same name and moved the appropriate assets there. Now if I search for a Folder named “Endpoint Monitoring” I don’t get the Assets in the “+install Everything” folder.

I suppose I could work around that by calling the policy “Endpoint Monitoring + install Everything”, but I didn’t in case I want to add it to another policy.

1 Like

Yeah as I mentioned if you have a ton of varying names and don’t know specifically what they are (to search for) them yeah it will be difficult to unify them all without going through them individually, unfortunately.

So am I right in saying that there is no easy way of searching? It does not sound like dasirrine received a workable answer here.

I too am having difficulties with what I would have though would be a simple search but clearly it is not.

1 Like

This is currently the only method of searching for policies. We’re looking at adding a report for this down the road at some point, but that is likely a ways away.