Bitdefender install fail: Competitor Product detected

Hello,

We recently migrated from another platform to Syncro. So we changed license in Bitdefender. Now most assets have this status in the overview section:

I tried uninstalling and installing bitdefender again.
While the script I made to uninstall bitdefender works. Syncro is having trouble reinstalling it again. While 2/6 assets that I tested with managed to match to GravityZone Endpoint, the other 4/6 would get this error:

Which is weird because the 2 assets that worked out also had windows defender up just like the other 4 assets.

I know there is the option of disabling it but it would be very time inefficient to manually do it on 300 assets. (If there are any suggestions to do it in an efficient way, it would be much appreciated!)

Please help :frowning: We’d really like our assets to be protected and synced asap.

Thank you!

I’ve never needed to disable Defender to get BD to install, nor is that what the message is saying. Bitdefender is probably detecting remnants of itself. After uninstall it’s a good idea to reboot before trying reinstall. You may also need to run the removal tool if the uninstall wasn’t fully successful. If there are just a few remnants, I have a script that should take care of them. Also keep in mind Syncro’s AV status is not real time by any means, I’m not sure which sync type it’s connected to but it could be 15mins up to 6 hours depending. AV install is triggered every 2 hours sync. Occasionally I’ve had to go into c:\programdata\syncro\bin and delete the BD installer and let Syncro redownload/retry installing. On even rarer occasion with some machines I’ve had to download the full size installer and run it as for some reason the stub installer would fail to download what it needed.

Import-Module $env:SyncroModule -DisableNameChecking

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

# AVG
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG" /f

# Norton/Symantec
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec" /f
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\ProgramData\Norton"
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\ProgramData\NortonInstaller"
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files\NortonInstaller"

# ESET
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\ESET" /f
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files\ESET"

# TeamViewer's ITbrain Anti-Malware
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ITbrain Anti-Malware" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ITbrain Monitoring" /f
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files\ITbrain"

# Malwarebytes
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes " /f

# McAfee
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mcafee" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee.com" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\mcafeeupdater" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\mcafeeupdater.com" /f
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee" /s /q

# SolarWinds AV Defender stuff
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVDefender" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\N-Able Technologies\AVDefender" /f
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files(x86)\N-able Technologies\Windows Agent\AVDefender"
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files\N-able Technologies\AVDefender"
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Data\N-Able Technologies"
Remove-Item -Force "C:\Program Files(x86)\N-Able Technologies\Windows Agent\config\AVDefender\Config.xml"
Remove-Item -Force "C:\Program Files(x86)\N-Able Technologies\Windows Agent\config\AVDefender\ErrorManager.xml"

# SolarWinds/LogicNow/Managed AV stuff
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Features\1CCD6B22A40736744A571AE34B990DE8" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\1CCD6B22A40736744A571AE34B990DE8" /f
reg delete "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\1CCD6B22A40736744A571AE34B990DE8" /f
reg delete "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4CD5C3BD0A7A09843BC123024BB352CE" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\LogicNow" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\1CCD6B22A40736744A571AE34B990DE8" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4CD5C3BD0A7A09843BC123024BB352CE" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-21-2465414843-2580454656-430099928-1115\Products\1CCD6B22A40736744A571AE34B990DE8" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-21-2535107696-3196376973-1651308919-1001\Products\1CCD6B22A40736744A571AE34B990DE8" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{22B6DCC1-704A-4763-A475-A13EB499D08E}" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{DB3C5DC4-A7A0-4890-B31C-3220B43B25EC}" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WebProtectionDriver1.2" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\WebProtectionDriver1.2" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\FirstBoot\Services\Advanced Monitoring Agent" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\FirstBoot\Services\ManagedAntivirus" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\FirstBoot\Services\NetworkManagement" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\FirstBoot\Services\UpdateService" /f
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\Program Files\Managed Antivirus"
Remove-Item -Recurse -Force "C:\ProgramData\ManagedAntivirus"

# Bitdefender
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bitdefender" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\epag" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EPIntegrationService" /f