Are there any plans to fix the mobile app?

There are issues with it and I just want to love and use it but it behaves differently than the web app.

• Tickets - If I get a new ticket on the board I can’t easily find it. The default layout is all the tickets in some random order as far as I can tell. I’ve got a significant amount of closed tickets, it’s like finding a needle in a haystack when a new one comes in. The only filter option is filtering by “mine” which is fine and well, except when I get that new ticket and I want to assign it to myself
  • Settings - Locale - none of these settings are editable
  • Typing in ticket updates disables autocorrect (at least it does on Android)
  • Unlocking - this is more of a preference item, but I find it annoying to have to “tap anywhere to unlock” and then do my thumb print. Why can’t it just immediately jump to the scan like other apps?
  • No dark mode - also more of a preference item

In addition, are there any plans to add splashtop access from the app? I used to use this on ScreenConnect. In a pinch it’s nice to be able to do.

1 Like

I believe there might be future work on it, but as of right now, they recommend using the web page over the app as they are focus on other parts of the application for now. Also, web page will naturally get updates faster because its the main UI for the software. You can access it on any device as well where the app has to be install.

The problem with this approach is it’s not convenient, no push notifications, browser tabs can’t act as services in the same way an app can so that opens the door for other issues. I haven’t logged into the webapp on my phone yet, so I can’t speak for it but I know some sites do not render well on phones. Is that the case here? A dedicated app is far more convenient, unfortunately.

The web page it self loads and runs just fine on both Apple and Android main stream devices. Even has the ability to launch your remote application controller. Correct, there wouldn’t be any notifications of course going this route, but you can always create rules to send to your email that could do that part of the job. If you have large hands it could be a bit harder on a smaller devices where to click.

The only tricky part is when you click on past tickets/invoices/etc you need to click on the ID instead of the ticket/invoice title/dest. The ID is a lot smaller so a bit harder to click on when using it in this way. Other wise, everything pretty much works the same.

If anything, I would recommend getting a tablet to use in this method and it looks fancy when you use it in front of clients as you show them different information about their stuff:)

For tickets I would suggest making a saved search. You can then make that saved search your default in the Settings. You can turn off the application lock in settings also. I wouldn’t expect many improvements to the app, if I was them anyway, I would be putting my efforts into rebuilding the web UI to be more mobile friendly and then just make a wrapper app of that to support notifications. Existing app has a lot of issues and missing features.

Wrapper is what I was thinking as well. I don’t think that should be too hard to implement, would be a significant improvement.

This has always been a problem, even when we were using repairshopr. I don’t know why they don’t invest in the app as it could greatly increase their addressable market. There are a lot of things they could add, like gps tracking/time tracking. I have plenlty of small business customers that pay thousands a month for their CRM’s that have these features. The app is just slow and unresponsive the UI is horrendous and overall the app is unusable. They haven’t updated it in years.

I’d love to see a better mobile app. Even small changes would be nice. The ability to launch a remote session from within the app, versus having to log onto the web from the phone then launch it.

Actually able to see script details, etc.

We do make updates to the app, though they are not very frequent I admit. No plans on any major overhauls at this time. Syncro was designed for use in a web browser though and should be very responsive. You can even launch remote sessions and things of that nature right from the browser.

When I say it hasn’t been updated in years, I mean it looks and functions exactly they same as the repairshopr app from 2017. It never really worked and I install it once a year to check if anything is better. Using the browser on your phone or tablet is by far the better option. But like I said it’s a missed opportunity. As a technician that does a lot of onsite work, it would be great if there was gps/time tracking. Some form of chat, so we didn’t have to go outside syncro, And I know plenty of builders, electricians, plumbers even fence builders that would use repairshopr if it had those 2 features.

Syncro:
We have a Native Mobile App that we invested in to make the lives of our customers easier.
Syncro Customer:
Mobile App is ok, but doesn't do xyz that other service based native mobile apps can do
Syncro:
Syncro is designed to be used in a web browser.

:scream_cat: why did Syncro invest in a native mobile app then?

1 Like

I had some of these same concerns and was met with the same answers, we have this app, it doesn’t work well, but if you are completely desperate you can almost use it.
I’m in the field a LOT and it would be nice to have an app that works.
I have to admit, I have not tried to use Syncro in a browser on my phone. I’ll have to try that and see if it’s any better.
OK, I decided to look at it right now… first thoughts, it’s a lot better than the app.
So I get a notification from the app that a ticket has a response, which does nothing when clicked, so I open a browser and look at the notifications there. Seem a little cumbersome, but better than nothing I guess.

The problem I have is that web browser based platforms are all variations of terrible, that only exist because it is so easy to throw something into a browser that pretends to be useful, and then stuff gets bolted on every now and again to round off the rough edges until it is useful, but stuff breaks, and never really meets the full need, and finally everyone realises that it is too hard to make it great, so the UI gets trashed for something new and around we go because the mechanics under the hood are a spaghetti mess of technologies and plumbing.

A native app on the device always has the potential to be better than a web browser based app.
The proof of this is the reality that App stores exist with millions of native apps on iOS, Android and Windows.
If web browsers met even 80% of the need for features then native apps (on mobile or desktop) would only have niche investment.

Mmm yes and no. There are some stuff you can in web and some things you can only do in a native app. Native apps normally lack features over time, delay features, or require a lot resources. If its something that has to talk with something local - native apps are always going to be better. On the other hand, web base wrappers apps can do 95% of most needs.

I have to say 95% because there will always be issues with UI in some matter as the screens size changes and that can cause some glitches in how it displays or can relay messages back to the user (pings, dings, etc).

Personally, I think they should drop the native app. I know bit unpopular… but if the web UI is their main thing… creating a web base wrapper app would give the power of both worlds. After that they would only need to focus on how it displays on a smaller platform/screen. I mean even if I am on the field, the web base platform already does 90% of what I need it to do (look at tickets, run remote scripts, and check documents). The last 5% is just navigation problems such as having to click on the smaller “ID” link when looking at tickets/invoices/etc. That would be a simple fix by making the dest of the object also a link like the ID is or adding a edit/view button some place. The last 5% is just because I would want more supported features when using a phone. For example, using the phone’s camera as a bar code scanner.

Other wise, if I was them, I would charge extra for the app. That way they can hiring someone to focus on it instead.

1 Like

The mobile app is a joke.
You can’t actually add a ticket from it as it doesnt ask for the contact or anything apart from a subject for the ticket.

It constantly crashes too.

(iOS user)

Andy,

What about a mobile version of the web app? We use Syncro from our phones web browser and it works ok.

What would be great is if the formatting recognized the phone screen size and was formatted to work smoother. The hardest part is searching. Searches results aren’t big enough to work properly.

This seems like a more functional and faster fix with your NEW UI/UX guys.

Yeah agree completely. It’s definitely being looked into.

This is one reason native apps are better the better way to go.
Trying to get 100% of elements in a complex Web UI like Syncro to behave on 100% screen sizes is really hard with many web technologies.
What often happens is that the terrible UI of a webui is squashed into a smaller screen, presenting terrible in a new way.

Also, how with a web UI being displayed on a mobile, do you secure the web UI in a browser with biometrics?
Is that possible?

How to does the Webui interact with other device hardware features such as GPS?

You wouldn’t get rip of the app entirely, for the reasons you state. Hardware integration, alert integration, etc. The app just becomes mostly a web browser with the needed system hooks/api stuff to enable app functionality. And with modern web design technology you can do totally different layouts for the same webpage depending on desktop/mobile or even multiple screen resolutions. So it’s totally doable. It will take work of course, but it doesn’t really make sense to maintain two platforms where you want both to do 99% the same things, so I think it’s the better path. App design is mostly just better because it has limited functionality and platform specific design, not because it’s inherently superior (other than speed, but in Syncro app’s case that doesn’t even seem to be true).

But if they drop it, then they lose a marketing dot-point in the feature comparison chart, which is probably more important to Syncro than the actual functionality.