Allow Device archiving

This Feature Request is to allow archiving devices that are no longer in use. There is relevant information that can only be stored in the device details/custom fields, as well as the ticket associations. Using an “Archive” policy does not really help with this as by default everything is shown and we have to change something to hide old stuff.

Assets should be able to be archived just like Customers can so all of the data our clients expect us to know is still there, just hidden from our daily work space so it doesn’t add clutter.

25 Likes

And contact archiving.

4 Likes

Another reason I can add is that I use integrations with ITGlue and WarrantyMaster, and every asset I have in the Syncro system is synced with those systems. First to ITG, then to WarrantyMaster from ITG. Once an asset is retired, I don’t really need to see it in there, especially with WarrantyMaster because I have a certain amount of assets I can track warranties on with them, and don’t need to track assets I no longer manage. There needs to be some sort of way to segregate, and I am hoping that archiving assets is the way to go.

3 Likes

@Andy You had requested me to provide more details regarding “retiring assets” during the fireside chat. I’ll post it on this feature request since it makes the most sense.

In our company, we do not delete assets at all, as the historical information can be very valuable and the second we delete the asset some of the historical information and relation is lost. The most valuable part is being able to see all of the tickets that are associated with a specific asset. We use that past information to help our techs troubleshoot similar problems they are having now. We also use it to see how different tickets/issues may be related when viewing it on the asset page. We also find ourselves referencing information about the old computers with clients when we are having our quarterly reviews (a great reminder of what we’ve done in the past).

With that being said, we are currently moving our assets off into a different company so we keep all the information “tied/related” together. It would be nice if we could keep them in the same company but have a retired/decommissioned policy/asset folder to place them in. The main aim of this folder is to either keep the assets off of reports like the Aging Asset report, or even the executive reports.

You had mentioned in the fireside chat, something about transitioning them from “Syncro Devices”. I feel this would be a mistake, as the ability to script on retired/decommissioned assets is still useful. For instance, we have a decommissioned policy that has a script queued to run. This script will pop up an alert to the client that the computer is decommissioned and not protected and to call us (then it shuts down the computer after 2 minutes). This is extremely useful for clients that decide to keep the decommissioned assets in a closet and try powering them on 6 months down the line when they are in desperate need of a spare and can’t be bothered to call us. We’ve had several instances where clients managed and un-managed decide they want to cheap out and reuse a Windows 7 computer. Some of them we would have never known the asset was added back to the network.

2 Likes

@matthew Thanks for the extra details. So this is really more of a philosophical discussion in that from my perspective, a retired asset should never be able to have checks or scripts run against them under any circumstances. This is the core reason for wanting to retire them in the first place. If we’re talking about keeping the Syncro agent active on a device in more of an unmanaged state, that’s more of an offboarding thing than it is a retiring thing. Meaning you are better off just moving the asset into a policy folder that removes any managed aspects of the agent (AV, Backups, etc.), and has all monitoring and scripting removed, which it sounds like you are doing some variant of today.

The notion of changing the device from a Syncro Device (agent managed) to a custom asset type (asset-tracking only) is to ensure all history is retained, including hardware data itself, while ensuring nothing can ever affect the asset directly from that point forward.

1 Like

@Andy I can’t argue with your logic. I would rather have the availability to keep the history of an asset and have it drop off any of the reports I mentioned over having the ability to run scripts on it.

4 Likes

Yep definitely having them omitted from reports, active lists, and saved asset searches would be key.

4 Likes

Hi Andy,

I was going to try your suggestion of changing the asset type from Syncro Device to a new custom asset type only to find that I cannot change a system-defined type
Can you tell me how to change an asset type?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hey Kevin,

That’s not possible as of today. This was something we’d like to see about implementing at some point in the future.

1 Like

+1 for Device Archiving/Retiring

1 Like